Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best bullet for deer AND elk

Old 03-03-2004, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best bullet for deer AND elk

I like a bullet that will expand well from the muzzle to how ever far I shoot and for this chore in my rifles is Nosler Part. and Barnes Triple Shok.
My 300's 180 or 165 gr.(Any thing in the lower 48 and beyond)
.338 Win Mag 225 or 250(Any thing in North America)
25-06 115gr (Deer and Elk,antelope)
6mm 100 gr (deer and antelope)
270 140 gr (Deer and Elk ,antelope)
30-06 165 gr(Deer and Elk)
This should cover any thing I wan't to hunt for hoved and Clawed game here in Montana.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the Partitions are great and have used them sucessfully for the last couple years but I'm a tinkerer and always looking for a more efficient hunting tool (better, quicker, more-humane kill). I'll be using the Accubond's this year and will report back here with any info I gather.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Power, I like a BT's for deer. Elk had good luck with failsafe and partitions. I would like to try the accubond or hornady IB's but am unsure of the offerings available for the .284 for both a deer and large game(Elk and Moose). Anybody that has used 150's for both out of 7mm rem mag, I'd like to here their thoughts? However for now I am reserved to using 2 loads for each application.

I have always had both excellent accuracy and field performance with hornady offerings. For deer both the interlock and SST have worked wonderfully out of my 7 rem mag. Last fall I took a calf moose & 5x5 wt buck with a Hornady 154Gr sp interlock and was very pleased with the results. My second wt 5x5 buck feel to a 150 BT with the usual results of being very pleased. Hornady XTP's are all I have used for the past number of years in my Ml when hunting, having been to the range with loads of combo's this bullet has always found it's way crammed down the tube come opening day for the smoke pole.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Skeeter. Funny how you and I always end up here talking about our 7's!

The 7mm Accubond is 160g. Same weight at the Partition I've been using this year. Got an elk with that 160g Part. this fall but took many shots to finish the tough bull. He was really far away (350 yards) and I've never shot that far but I do practice at that range and have shot targets that far and know my rifle and traj. out to 500 (personal limit of 400 for me though). Bullet drops around 6.1" at 300 w/ 200 yd. zero and I have my scope calibrated to range out to 300 yards so I was sure of the distance within 25 yards. Took 4 shots to get him to bed down and then another couple to finish him once I got to him (funny how they are always uphill from where you are).

The bullet did fine. Recovered 2 of them and perfect expansion. Used a 175g Part. on last years Elk and bullet performance was fine too. Just looking for a little more accuracy since MOA means 4" varience at 400 yards and that's just the rifle. Shots over 300 aren't unusual where I hunt so I like to be ready.

Used a 150g Scirocco on a deer in 2002 and bullet was too much for deer size game plus too long for my magazine for the handloads I made. Before that was 150g ballistic tip on a deer in '99. Deer dropped in his tracks with the first shot and was dead before he hit the groud. Nothing like an nice heart shot to really drop 'em. Before that was my big whitetail in '96 that got a 165g Remington boattail softpoint in the neck. Needless to say he dropped and never twitched again either.

As you can see I'm on a quest. The partition is a great bullet but I want a little more accuracy for that 300-400 yard shot that presents itself. I don't like shooting that far but where I hunt that is usually your only option and I feel preparred for it now with the new rifle, scope, loads, and lots of practice.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:07 PM

i have been using 165 grain....nosler partitions out of my 7mm rem mag for deer and elk... i have been hunting for only 8 years but have taken plenty of game with this combo and i haven't had a problem with it yet. The partitions are a real nasty bullet and i have had no problems taking out both shoulders on an elk with them...you can't ask for much more than that.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Power

If you had to choose 1 bullet for both what would you use? I currenlty use Partitions out of my 7mm, 160g but probably will switch to Accubonds this year. Distances are between 50-350 yards.
I use 180 grain corelokts the entire season using a Reminton mod.700, 30-06. It might be a little heavy for deer but the deer here are usually on the big side. I might go out one day deer hunting and then the next day go elk hunting or even hunt them both on the same day, so I don't want to keep changing shells when the 180's will work on anything out here. I get better groups with the corelokts than I do from the noslers. But even the best bullet if not placed properly won't bring the animal down. Find out what shoots best out of your rifle and good luck,... Bobby
Old 03-03-2004, 03:28 PM

I would use the partition or partition gold - cant beat them
Old 03-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Bobby. Didn't know they had a 180g bullet in 7mm but will check into it. I've never had much luck with accuracy from the Remington Core-Lok rounds. They are good shells, killed tons of game, but I've never been impressed with their accuracy out of any gun. Of course, that can be different for different people.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:32 PM

1 bullet for deer or elk??? well forget the deer just go for an elk bullet and the deer wont know the difference. Deer are easy to kill with the 7 mag. I killem with 139 hornady hollow points. Never had a problem. I've killed elk with the 175 gr soft point out to 500yds. Now someone will say how irresponible of me to attempt a 500 yd shot on an elk..........well I guess to that I would say........mmmmmm elk stake.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I compared Nosler Partitions & Accubonds on paper & animals last year. The exit wounds looked the same to me. I used 160-grain Accubonds in my wife's 7mm Ultra mag & 160-grain partitions in my 7mm STW. We used both rifles on deer & antelope. We shot 4-antelope & 4-deer with theese rifles. All eight animal were shot in the heart/lungs. All eight exit wounds looked pretty much the same to me.
I used my 300-win mag with 200-grain Nosler Accubond on my elk. I have used 200-grain Partitions for many years before this. The Accubond left a good exit wound that looked liked the exit wound from a partition.
The accubonds did shoot just a little better (1/4" to 3/8") at best on paper.
IMHO I did not see any benefit to the higher priced Accubonds. I will shoot accubonds until I use the last of them up. Then I plan on going back to Partitions.

Quick Reply: Best bullet for deer AND elk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.