Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hot Elk Tags

Old 02-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hot Elk Tags

outdoor, Colorado has it all

Some units you can buy over the counter tags for elk, some you can only hunt by applying through the drawing.

As far as PP you get a PP every time you apply for a tag (first choice) and don't recieve one. I apply for elk tags every year to build my points, but I actaully hunt in a unit that is undersuscribed so I get a tag every year without using my PP. You can do that by making it your second choice.

A good thing to do if you plan on hunting Colorado in the future is to apply for a PP and then get a over the counter tag.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:44 PM

201 is the toughest for elk. I am saving my points for that one, I will be 28 before I can hunt it!

But CO has elk everywhere. Best place in the world for elk hunting as far as I am concerned. New Mexico is good, but Colorado has so many places to just buy a tag and find some good, heavy bulls.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:53 PM

I agree that geting to hunt every 2 or 3 years is better than every 5 or so years but, I live in Missouri and even a do it your self trip to Colorodo is pretty expensive deal, and if you throw in a pre season scouting trip it realy adds up. I think I am ready to skip a few $900.00 do it your self hunts an try a good outfitter in prime hunting grounds. A realy big bull may cost me $4000. 00 but I have all of the 3 & 4 pointers I want, besides as far as just good hunting goes, Missouri has some of the best Whitetail hunting going, that will keep me happy for a while.
Now let me change my original question a little, where would be the best area to try to draw with 6 or 7 points?
Old 02-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

Outdoor the difference for muzzleloader is it's draw across the board. That means elk moving into the rut in some areas and a limited number of hunters. You still have the archery hunters out there but it not the same as rifle hunter being in the field. muzzleloading in my opinion is a really good chance to take a nice animal. In most areas you can be drawn in two years of applying. If colorado would move that season a week later it would be the premier season to hunt. Then the elk would be moving into full rut and it would be a truly perfect season for elk hunting.