Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What do I need for elk hunting

Old 02-22-2004, 09:39 AM

Default What do I need for elk hunting

I will be heading to colorado this fall for elk and hopefully mule deer. We will be staying in a hotel in town and driving out to the ranch in the mornings. What i'm wondering is could some of you experienced elk hunters give me a starting off piont of things I need or would help with the hunt? Thank you for your help.
Jeff
Old 02-22-2004, 11:11 AM

Default RE: What do I need for elk hunting

WIbucksniper,

If you are driving out from town and the owners of the ranch are going to guide you and they have the elk movements down pat and there is no pressure on the elk and they see them every day while tending their stock, then great you can't beat that with a stick. If you simply have a connection that is going to let you hunt on some land or if there is other direct or indirect pressure on the game and you have to do it on your own....

If you REALLY want an elk, then:

1. Show up a week before the season to scout so you can walk to and from your "sweet spots" in the dark both ways without getting lost.

2. Skip the mule deer thing (a deer is a deer is a deer) until after you've ALL got your elk.

3. Lose the hotel and do your sleeping way back in the thick of elk country -- in the morning before sunrise, TIME will prove to be one of your biggest enemies.

Elk hunting (except for dumb luck) requires different tactics than either popping bambi in the local deer patch or doing road hunting. [On the other hand, road hunting can be fun: donuts, hot coffee, no sweat, pretty country, nice conversation (game can't hear you talking with the windows up), and for packing purposes the game is seldom far from the truck!]

4. IMHO 30-06 minimum with 180gr. premium bullets (heavy for caliber) for elk. Also, just because an elk didn't crumple like a deer and then runs off without so much as a flinch or a limp, don't think you missed him -- follow it up hard.

5. If the locals aren't going to br helping you, then make sure you have plenty of knife power AND a saw or an axe for field dressing. ALSO you need some plan in advance as to how you will retrieve the meat -- do NOT underestimate this: blown knees, damaged backs, and heart attacks await the unwary on this last one and can indeed turn it into the (negative) hunt of a lifetime.

These thoughts are in response to WIbucksniper only and as always other opinions may vary, just pointing out a little of what consistently works for us year in and year out.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 02-22-2004, 11:48 AM

Elkampmaster-
Thank you for your in put. The ranch we will be hunting on is just a place to hunt the rancher is not guiding us. But my buddy and his father are going too, and his father has been out there 10 times in the last twelve years. I will be using my .300 rum and 7mm rem mag. I hope those are enough. Agian thank you for your input it was helpfull.
Jeff
Old 02-22-2004, 12:17 PM
jjt

Also, just because an elk didn't crumple like a deer and then runs off without so much as a flinch or a limp, don't think you missed him -- follow it up hard.
this is a very good point and should not be taken lightly

also i would suggest doing a few miles a day on the tread mill

through all your hunting gear on and try it for an hour the more in shape you are the better the hunt will be
Old 02-22-2004, 12:45 PM

7RemMag, 30-06, 300WinMag all pretty close and sufficient.

====================================

Someone in your party has done this 10 out the last 12 years....

THAT is the person to best direct your questions to. There is more than one way to get an elk and the way you need to be in tune to is HIS way -- no sense in re-inventing the wheel. IMHO the leader/follower system based on experience in that area is far superior to a democratic structure, as there is no substitute to localized knowledge and experience.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 02-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ELKampMaster Has given you great advise.
I just want to repeat what has been said about shooting elk. A elk will sometime just stand there after you shoot him in the vitals, even with a 300-RUM. If he does put another one in him right away. DO NOT just stand there & admire your shot. That is a big mistake some hunters make.

Good luck
Old 02-22-2004, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice given. Even though it is a ranch hunt, I would really work on conditioning before you go. The elevation can really get you if you don't watch out. I do a combination of power walking with a backpack and bike riding (real or stationary). Jogging is great if you can do it, but my knees and back can't take that any more. Even so, it takes 2-3 days to get used to the altitude, so it is better to get there early if possible. Don't drink alcohol or caffeine for the first few days either, can make altitude problems worse. Plain old rolaids and ibuprophen will help also, I usually get headaches for a couple of days. Vitamin C really helps with sore muscles, but you have to take up to 3 grams 3 times daily.

Now for the clothes. You need a really good pair of longjohns. Regardless of cold, when you hike in the mountains, you will sweat. Long johns need to trasfer this moisture to outer layers or when you stop, or you will get cold. Think wicking ability, not actual warmth as the purpose of longjohns. If you go with some cotton longjohns, you will freeze.

Take 2 pairs of boots, both broke in: one without insulation and one with insulation. Get thin polypropylene sock liners to wear under wool socks. Liners wick moisture and keep the blisters down.

Also have a good pair of breathable raingear. I have a set of Cabelas uninsulated packable raingear with a goretex type breathable material. That way you can layer for warmth and just put on the raingear over that, or if it is warm, just use the raingear without warm clothes underneath.

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:33 PM

Well now you've got your rifle, tactics, and clothes covered. now lets talk about a day pack. I allways wear my day pack, even if i think i'm taking a short walk. get a quiet fleece, blaze orange model. In it i carry the following:
matches in one of them army surplus water proof containers with the striker on the bottom, flashlight, with spare batteries, i have a small one that takes a 9 volt(small and light is good) a compass that i allways take a bearing with when i go in off a road, or someother point so i can git back out(gps is probably better, haven't tried one) If a storm blows in, and you get a white out a couple mountains back, you'll be real glad you got it. a space blanket is handy, never used mine yet,,,,but...., i got some rope in their, if you ever gut a bull by yourself, you'll need it, just to tie the legs off too a tree. i have a wyoming saw in mine, it breaks down into a leather holder, real handy, but there are other kinds, i've tried a few, i love my wyoming saw, cabelas has them. of course a knife, some candy bars, i take a warmer hat, one of them face mask kind of stocking hats in case a nor easter blows in, and some warm mittens, i wear gloves, but if it drops below zero, mittens keep you warmer. I also carry some water, definately comes in handy, then your usual doo dads like a small camera, i carry shooting sticks that break down and fold out quick, and a sandvich er two, and that about covers me for the day, or two if for some reason i get stuck out there. Hope this helps you, and good hunting
Old 02-22-2004, 11:38 PM

Oh, allmost forgot the most important thing, a first aid kit, i make up a small one, with some bandages, and one of them ace bandage and some safety pins incase god forbid i gotta make me up a splint.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:09 AM

Check your gear before !!! you go, do some aerobic and weight training, go early to acclimate yourself. Pre scout your area use a spotting scope it is a good thing. High protein and high carb snacks are good eat small frequently. Hydration is a concern water is heavy streams may not be good to drink from - a small filtration system and purification additives are a legitimate addition to your gear pile. A small lightweight headlamp that uses the same battery as your gps is also a good thing. Extra batteries.

My opinion - Spikes taste better than Trophy Elk but it is all good if you are succesful.

Start before sunup - be patient - be silent - be successful

Quick Reply: What do I need for elk hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.