Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What do I need for elk hunting

Old 02-25-2004, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What do I need for elk hunting

The most important thing is a first aid kit? Come on fellas, I ain't been gone so long y'all done fergot everthin'. The mos' impotent piece of equipment you got on a elk hunt is yer boots an' socks...period. Second would be yer hat. Third place is pretty much a tie between yer compass an' yer pack mule. Fourth would be your rifle. Fifth yer knife. Sixth yer whiskey flask.............I reckin' thet's far enough. Finally got the trail to my computer shoveled and salted. Y'all take care.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about a tag? Do you have one of those yet? Bobby
Old 02-27-2004, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

Gear is most important for a warm, dry and enjoyable hunt. Especially good clothing. Everyone else has said those things.

After you have done all the things you can do to prepare for the hunt mainly getting gear and exercising for endurance. There's one main key left for when the opportunity arises. That is to pratice shooting. This is where alot of hunters come up short in elk hunting. Find somewhere you can shoot up to 250 yds and know your rifle. Judging distances out west is troublesome for alot of people maybe a rangefinder would be helpful. What ever your comfortable with but I tell my guys to sight in for 200yds. Don't by all means sight in for any distance futher than that. 200yds sightin is great for the western states and more open country less guess work and not much difference at a 100yds in today modern calibers. But main thing shoot alot before you come. And goodluck.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:15 PM

After the shot is fired thats when the work starts, study up on how to skin and bone an elk thats laying on the ground, have at least 2 good knives, a stone and steel, and some rope, take plenty of game bags. I have found it to take 4 to 6 deer sized bags to bag up all of the boned out meat, also take lots of black pepper, if the bugs are out cover the meat with a heavy coat of pepper to keep them off and when you get it home, most of it will wash off. Don't scrimp on a pack frame get one with good pads and pack your load as high on your back as you can, it will be easier to control. Don't forget it is fairly easy to lift 100 lbs in a pack but carying it for several miles is something else, don't over load your self
Good Luck
Old 02-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Well damn BJ it's good to hear from ya. I should've known they couldn't keep a hellion like you down for long. Maybe things will get back to normal.

Did ya hear ole EKM actually owns one of them 30-30s.???????? elknut1
Old 02-29-2004, 10:15 AM

Get in shape!!! Try to get there early to get used to the altitude, I went from sea level to 11500 and it kicked my butt for the first couple of days. Carry some trail mix, Jerky, and maybe some candy bars in your backpack along with plenty of water. And most important, don't forget to have fun!
Old 03-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice elk hunters, I am planning on elk hunting in 2 years with a family friend guide. He might be giving me a family discount. The location is in New Mexico, Cuba. I have not talk to him yet but will be soon to make reservations and what I need to bring, I hope to be using the bow if not bow Muzzle. Thanks again printed the page great advice. One more peace of advice for sniper buy some elk hunting books lot of the same advise, but this site gives you more advice on small details thats what I like about this site. Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heart. You need heart.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:46 PM

If your being outfitted - Have a good job that pays well and a Boss if you're not him that understands your basic need to hunt so he'll give you the time off OR You can retire and move to an area where Elk reside and DIY the rest of your life in bliss.