Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Grizzly bear challenge, 100 yard full charge

Old 02-14-2004, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Grizzly bear challenge, 100 yard full charge

OK 100 yards - 975 lb grizz
Here goes > I am a bolt man because I believe in one shot but with these options you gave I would switch to a pump. The auto would worry me..murphy's law would set in sure as ..well you know.
Any pump who cares fill it with 3"mag slugs and lets get ready to rumble
There always time to change you panties later!
Old 02-14-2004, 09:04 AM

When I lived in Wyoming and had some outfitter/guide acquaintances it was a toss up between guns and bearspray. I've heard more good outcomes with spray than guns at close range. I use to do timber work and archery hunted in griz country and spray is all I carried. The odds of getting the spray into the grizzlies face is better than making a killing shot while your crapping your pants. That stuff is nasty and most of the time stops the bear. I'll stick with the spray if I could only carry one. If I could, I'd carry both and that way if the bear did get on top of me I might then be able to put one in his ear. I wouldn't want to unnecessarily kill a bear when I caused the encounter as in surprising it and it just trying to defend itself. If he was in a predator mode and wanted to eat me, then I'd want to kill it. The bears are just doing what bears do.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

While hunting grizzly I was charged by a grizzly weighing right around 400lbs.I fired at 40 yards stopping the bear in his tracks.He swung sideways and I fired again dropping the bear causing him to roll down the slope coming to rest dead.The cartridge was a 338x8mmremmag(8mmremmag necked up to 338)shooting a 210gr jensen j26 at 3100fps.The first shot entered the throat, penetrated lengthwise and stopped along the spine at the rear hip.The second shot broke both front shoulders.We were climbing a steep slope and the bear was coming at us down a sheep trail so there was no option of retreat or climbing a tree.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Elkcamp. I will try to find that article again then I could have my son put it on for me as I don't have a scanner or the knowledge to use one. The artical said to practice, try spinning around and hitting a crapefruit in 2 seconds or less. One has to admit that this would be a pretty tough job as the target would also be moving. Avoiding this situation is by far the best bet. The 30-06 with 220 grain bullets performed awful well in thier tests for penetration at close range. They also listed the old 30-40 Craig. Some of the calibers listed were no doubt listed because of thier use for many years in big game country before more modern cartridges were even around. Records show that one grizzly which was world record size was killed in Wyoming with one shot from a 30-30. The fact that these old cartridges were carried for so many years by so many people would place them in quite a few catagories of big game hunting and self defense situations. I do remember that the 458 with 500 grain bullets was the champ out penetrating the 460 Weatherby in tests for penetration. The tests were all done with hunting bullets, that is the bullets most hunters would be useing for big game in grizzly country. It was interesting thus I put it away to save. I was in my own mid stages of Magnumitis at the time and it got me in the notion to buy my 416 Rem Mag which was very new at that time. I shot it a lot but finally came to the conclussion that I would rather be hit by the bear. I do think though that the 416 Rem Mag would be one of the best choices for hunting in Bear country. The power of that thing is awsome. Mine was a Ruger NO-l single shot. The best thing about shooting it was that none of my other little mags like the 338 and 300 Weatherby seemed to kick at all in comparison. If I got to thinking they kicked hard I could go shoot the 416 again. Now my shooting shoulder is shot and they all hurt like hell.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Spike

Let's see here, out of the guns in my collection?

I'd just hide behind ElKampMaster.

The only guns I have would include a 300win mag, 12ga pump, 30-06 single shot, 50 cal muzzleloader. None of which other than the 300win mag would I take to bear country. And even with that I'm not too sure about if the bear is charging.

I think pepper spray would be my best defence in that situation.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

I think I would have to take my 375 ultra mag. Cant think of anything better than that for myself. A friend of mine had a hunt up by Kodiak Isle. Had a 13 footer charge him and his guide. The guide hid behind him. he put four rounds in the bears chest , and he finally dropped dead at 7 steps. He was useing his 375 RUM. Thats a BIG CRITTER TO BE MESSING AROUND WITH . So I would have to go with my 375RUM also.

Thanks for the post.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:17 PM

I think my .338 or my 12 gauge semi auto that holds up to 9 rounds with magnum buckshot loads would be nice. As I was charged by a momma bear with 2 cubs last year and had to climb a tree with my brothers and my dad, I want to be able to get off as many rounds as I can that can seriously hurt that bear!
Old 02-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd just hide behind ElKampMaster.
That sure sounds like a winning option. Even if he don't kill it before it get there at least he is in front and hopefuly you could sneak off quietly while the bear is filling its belly.[8D]
Old 02-14-2004, 08:08 PM

I would have to say thats not the situation I really want to try findting out which gun would work better but im sure a good 'ol .50 cal mounted machine gun to a F-150 sittin on about 4 inches of lift with the big 36 inch tires and one heck of a brush gaurd.

If I couldnt have that I would have to say a pistol gripped 12 ga. pump loaded with 3 1/2 inch buck shot with a really ported barrel. Buck shot gives you more room to be off than with slugs. That and aim for the head.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:18 PM

Is worthwhile to study the conditions of the thread's orginal post --- firearms from your collection --- dream weapons not withstanding.

------------------------------------------------------
BTW, if any of you folks want to spring for the ticket to get us up there and set to play for the proposed "me or him"/ELKampMaster Sacrifice grizzly/brownie hunt, then I'll be glad to stand at the point of attack between you and said bear (100 yard version). Rules of engagement to be negotiated.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM

Quick Reply: Grizzly bear challenge, 100 yard full charge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.