Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Grizzly bear challenge, 100 yard full charge

Old 02-13-2004, 07:53 AM

Default RE: Grizzly bear challenge, 100 yard full charge

Ill take a 50 cal.750 grain sniper rifle
Old 02-13-2004, 09:06 AM

trophyhuntr,

You actually have a 50 BMG sniper rifle? --- cool.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 02-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why would I want too waste any shells, I would use my hunting knife and slice his jagular, the bear in the first place would not want to mess with me as he would problably run in the other direction. My presense enough would scare him. Bobby
Old 02-13-2004, 09:46 AM

I'd talk to him about his anger managment issues...No need to take a gun...In that situation, I'd be shaking to bad to hit him anyway.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd probably just take a roll of duct tape and catch him.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:27 PM

I always take a real fat freind with me. If that doesn't work then the 12 guage with slug/shot/slug is my choice and if that don't work a .22 for my temple. Been real close to Alaska browns and they make me nervous.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:13 PM

12 gauge 3 1/2 inch 000 buck 6 shots. Wait I wouldn't need that. I would hall a$$. I don't care if I have a leg iron on. I would drag that behind. Wait a second. What would you be doing in the bear country with a leg iron?
Old 02-13-2004, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Benelli 3" 12 ga. first shots sabot slugs that you have a chance at the 100-50 yard range to put through the chest or head. Keep shooting and loading with 00 buck at the head and neck til there's nothing left to shoot.

The only other firearm I'd choose is .300 WM Tikka with Premium Fail Safe or Nosler cartridges. Better be sure to make every round count!

Lord, I wouldn't hope that situation on anyone though. Whew!

Well, maybe there are a few lowlifes you see in the news...
Old 02-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I read just this very thing years ago in field and stream only the distance was 25 yards. The research was done by Ballistic experts and Grizzly Bear hunting guides. They listed the top thirty and I don't recall all of them but the number one stopper was the 458 Win Mag. At close range velocity is not the best thing to have on your side. At close range it puts to much stress on the bullet. The 30-06 was in the top ten as was the 45-70 and 12 Ga shotgun. They said you have to be able to hit a target the size of a grapefruit to stop old Grizz short. Recovery time from recoil and the ability of the bullet to hang together were critical. The old 303 British was up there a ways as well. The claim only a brain shot is a sure thing once the charge begins. Somewhere I still have that artical.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:01 AM

JamesB,

Shortening up the distance WOULD change the game substantially wouldn't it?

At 25 yards INSTEAD of a 100 yards AND with the charge already started --- one shot is likely all one will get and for that scenario some of those article choices are fine choices. In any case, penetrating through to hit the CNS, come thick or thin, square or glancing, would indeed be a goodly thing to accomplish.

Heavy monolithic (one material) bullets at medium speeds (instead of hyper-velocities) just keep on plowing in a straight line -- even to the extent one has got to be careful when there is more than one animal so you don't pick up a "double."

In other parts of the world where Dangerous Game is much more common, the typical practice is to load a soft point first (so you are likely to only hit a single animal if there is a group) and then follow that up with monolithics in the magazine (should they come looking for you). Of course, in this imaginary scenario with the 100 yard grizzly, the critter is already coming for you, hence the heavy medium speed monolithics right from the get go --- don't have to wait for them to get close either.

Personally I'll pass on the 30-06 and the 303 British though.

If you get a chance, then scan in the article and post it or if its on the web then the link for it. I think it would be fun reading.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM

Quick Reply: Grizzly bear challenge, 100 yard full charge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.