Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

newfoundland caribou/moose hunting

Old 02-09-2004, 12:19 PM

Default newfoundland caribou/moose hunting

Am looking at a this hunt as a possibility, wondered if anyone could share any good/bad experience/advice. I did a search and turned up very little on here, any of you been? I have been combing the net for outfitters and camps, most I've found are very similar in price, depending a little on guide/client ratio, and whether it's a drive up, or a fly-in. I'm not crazy about having a giude/outfitter, but there's no choice there, so I would be glad to hear of anyone's experiences or recomendations. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: newfoundland caribou/moose hunting

I would highly recommend Snowshoe Lake Hunting & Fishing out of Millertown. It is a drive to camp, but I don't believe you can get any more remote by flying in. They are a small family run operation with the max of 6 hunters in camp at one time. I have been there twice for caribou (01' & 03') and am headed back this year (04') for trip #3. Each time I go I am amazed at the level of personal attention each hunter receives and they treated you like family. Seeing alot of animals is also a plus. The guides are first class, very knowledable, and just plain fun to hang out with. It is one of the finest camps I have ever been to.

Although I have never hunted moose with them, they seem to do well with their moose hunters. I know combo and grand slam hunts are done all the time in Newfoundalnd, but my feeling is that you would be very fortunate to take 2 quality animals in a weeks time. I think 2 nice caribou wouldn't be a problem, but a good moose AND a good caribou would be difficult in that short period of time. Weather can be a HUGE issue in Newfoundland. If you have a day or two with warm temperatures, high winds, or get fogged in, the animals may just not be moving. You could loose valuable days due to the weather as it changes often from one extream to the other.

There are several good outfitters on the island. Moose Valley Outfitters is another excellent operation. The important thing is to do your homework. Ask a lot of questions and call references. Many of the good ones are booked a year or two in advance for caribou and moose. It pays to wait though.

If you choose a good outfitter, you will have an enjoyable adventure. If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me.

Good luck. . . Rob
Old 02-11-2004, 05:00 AM

Rob,
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate your time. In my mind, I guess I would rather go after one or the other,(moose or caribou), rather than try for both in one trip. Price-wise, it seems a better deal to try both, but I'm sure I would get more enjoyment from pursuing one good animal and enjoying the country, rather than feel rushed to get one so I could go after the other. I will look into your recomendations, and as long as you don't mind, will try to email you soon for a bit more info. Again, thanks a lot!
Dave
Old 02-11-2004, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slo-Bo

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the rates that Snowshoe Lake charges. They are considerably less than some of the others without compromising service and quality. Ron Hicks is the manager/co-owner and is a straight shooter. No smoke and mirrors there, he will tell you exactly the way things will be at camp.

I have written a few articles for a local sporting magazine. You can read about my 2001 trip on my web site:

http://www.geocities.com/rlburkart/

Just click on "NEWFOUNDLAND" located on the left side of the screen. It is a detailed account of the trip and some photos. No problem with the questions either, I would be glad to help.

Good Luck . . . Rob
Old 02-15-2004, 11:57 AM

I'd be happy to provide some recommendations. Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]