Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

300 win mag

Old 02-08-2004, 03:50 PM

Default RE: 300 win mag

I can handle large recoils maybe because with my trap and skeet team I go through 500-700 shells 12 gauge each week. I don't know. I only weigh 110, and have never had problems with large recoils.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:42 PM

J3,

On a seperate side note, if I may ask, does your trap and skeet team have a coach and does he/she critique your shooting technique? If he does, then how does it work and what "tools" are used?

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
EKM
Old 02-08-2004, 07:16 PM

We have a coach, this is the Utah Youth trap and skeet team-12-16 . I am the captain and he says that I have amazing form and should do remarkably at national's. I shoot about a 97-98/100 as an average. I actually last night shot against the adult team 17-21 and beat the entire team with my best score ever of 100/100! their captain got a 99/100 so it was really close! I am confused as to what the "tools" are that you are talking about.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:19 PM

Hmmm, should have been a little more specific. Tools.... a visual critique of your technique using videotape and freeze frame review OR a verbal critique viz-a-viz a check list of various points per a given "trap/skeet shooting style" (feet, stance, shouldering, swing, sight picture, trigger technique, follow through, etc).

My observation is that usually those who struggle with recoil sensitivity frequently have had NO REAL training involving a constructive and professional outside third party critique of their shooting technique. [By gawd, I'm an American, and this here is my right, and NO ONE is goin' to tell me how to do my shootin'] Then they reap what they sow anytime they move past a 30-06.

A Quick Story
At MagFest 2003 a group of us from the Denver Area met with an African PH who operates the Cherry Creek Park Shooting Center and he instructed us in the do's and don'ts of Big Bores/Dangerous Game Rifles and the handling techniques used at the PH school in the RSA. We shot: 375H&H, 416RemMag, 416Rigby, 458WinMag, and 500 Nitro Express. Doing it the way he taught us, recoil was NO big issue at all --- BUT --- it wasn't free, the critiques were NOT too gentle, pride did get bent just a little bit, and the reprimands were pointed and in vivid blood and guts Technicolor; however, by the end of it all the results WERE outstanding. We all agreed recoil was NOT an issue at all; what WAS an issue was doing it exactly the way you were told.

Now Back To The Question
You appear not to be recoil sensitive and hence I'm inquiring if the development of your form involved formal instruction and critique, not the "johnny six pack" technique of just throwing a truck load of clays and a dozen cases of ammo at you and encouraging you to "give it a go".

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 02-08-2004, 09:22 PM

He uses a sheet and judges our foot placement and such. I have never had my form corrected so I guess it just came naturally.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Spike

How many people have ever worried about recoil while in the field? I think that's the point that needs to be made. When I know I'm going to shoot my .300 wm off of a bench. I almost always use some kind of cushion. I want to put my mind in a very warm and fuzzy place when I sqeeze that trigger because that's exactly the way I'll be in the field. I always bare down on the target, and then try and get my mind to drift to something else. I don't know if this makes sense,,,,,,,, but it works for me.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:53 PM

Hi j3k2c1,

Actually, I think that lighter people typically tend to "handle recoil better". And I know this isn't "based on science".....but I suspect it is because they have "less mass" and are therefore more easily able to "move with the recoil". Where as, conversely, I think the heavier someone is......(as in really heavy and bulky)......they "move more slowly".......and actually "absorb the recoil". Like I said.....just my theory!?!

I've watched my brother-in-law, (mentioned above), and numerous other larger people shooting. And because they have "more mass".....it "moves with the recoil later, and more slowly", thereby absorbing more of it! Or in plain english....."feeling more of it, instead of being pushed out of the way".

Hi EKM,

I hadn't necessarily thought about the taking more time being associated with extra recoil. Though that certainly has merit. I have observed usually when someone takes "too long".....making the shot.....their accuracy also frequently suffers. (Thinking about it too much probably does has alot to do with the perceived felt recoil.) I know it also tends to result in "poor breathing control.....and induced tremors......as well.

The Cherry Creek Park Shooting Center experience sounds like it would have been extremely interesting and worthwhile! I'd certainly enjoy an opportunity like that.

Thanks again.

Dave
Old 02-09-2004, 09:32 PM

Actually AK your theory is a good thought, but is proved wrong in basic Physics. When the actions of the recoil are of the same force, by having a smaller force(person) to counter it they will experience more of the "dissipated force". I learned that just today!
Old 02-10-2004, 01:57 PM

The lighter person may experience more of the dissipated force because of their lighter weight. But the reception of the recoil impulse is spread out over a longer period of time...because they accelerate more rapidly in the opposite direction than does a larger mass.

When a automobile hits an immovable object and rapidly deacelerates it transfers that kinetic energy to the occupants of the vehicle. The force those "projectives" (occupants) experience when they deaccelerate will be less damaging.....if the impact is spread out over a greater period of time, (as in hitting seat belts or airbags. If that same kinetic energy is "deposited more rapidly".....as in hitting an immovable object inside the vehicle...the force is more injurious. So the ability of an object to rapidly accelerate in reaction to a force "spreads the impulse out over a longer time span.....and helps in dissipation of the force.

The lighter person may absorb more of the energy. But they do it more slowly....rolling with the recoil. Which is why the perception of recoil is less when standing and able to roll with the recoil.....than when firing prone....or sitting at a bench leaning forward. The recoil impulse doesn't change. And a heavier person has more mass with which to counter the recoil. But their extra mass also accelerates less quickly allowing the recoiling weapon to deaccelerate more rapidly into their body. The sensation of felt recoil is sharper!

I think how most people tend to "perceive recoil" (translate that as "pain") is a function of how rapidly it is deposited into us. Which is why a rapid punch thrown by a lighter person can "hurt" quite a bit more than a "heavy" push given by a larger opponent.

But one thing is certain. Each persons ability and/or willingness to deal with recoil is subjective....regardless of weight. Some people just don't mind it as much as others. Which goes back to what EKM said......we aren't as tough as we use to be. Which is also generally true in many other physical aspects of our lives as well. (Too much computer, playstation, TV time.....and not enough manual labor....exercise!)

Dave

P.S. Of course I could just be full of poop....for all I know!
Old 02-13-2004, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about this? Let him shoot a 1/2 box from a borrowed .300 WM from a bench and let him decide whether he thinks it's a rifle he'd feel comfortable shooting. Let him know that whatever he decided, yeah or neah, it's okay.

I personally think bench rest shooting will be a bigger shock to the body than shooting at game. I don't ever remember feeling the recoil of a rifle at big-game, when focused so much on all the other things going into taking a shot for a clean kill.

Let us know how it goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.