Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Antelope good eating?

Old 02-03-2004, 06:11 PM

Default Antelope good eating?

I hear Antelope is not good eating, some people say it taste like sage, any truth to this?
Old 02-03-2004, 06:34 PM

Default RE: Antelope good eating?

I have eaten antelope all my life and it is my favorite tasting game meat.
It will taste horrible if after you shoot it you treat it like a deer and let it "cure" for several days. You quater it up IMMEDIATELY and put it in a cooler with lots of ice. Then it is the most amazingly tender and tasty meat on the North American continent!
Old 02-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

All I can say is that I tried it for my third time about a year ago."MY FIRST, MY LAST, AND MY ONLY''!!!!!!!!! Tasted like a damn old Grease-Wood bush.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:00 PM

I have to go along with J3 on this one, after you get that antelope, field dress is, and get the skin off as soon as you can, keep it cool and clean, and cut it as soon as you can. While i have never iced one down, i get to the cuttin as soon as possible. I have had antelope that was better than any elk or deer i have eaten.
I do think the closer you get one to agricultural country the better. [quote]ORIGINAL: OneEye

I hear Antelope is not good eating, some people say it taste like sage, any truth to this? [hr]
Old 02-03-2004, 08:04 PM

All I can say is that I tried it for my third time about a year ago."MY FIRST, MY LAST, AND MY ONLY''!!!!!!!!! Tasted like a damn old Grease-Wood bush.
How was it field prepared? How soon was it butchered? It makes an amazing difference!
Old 02-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have much experience having killed only one, but it tasted great. I cooled the meat ASAP, & of course, everyone knows that bow killed critters always taste better...[>:][&:]
Old 02-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

I have eaten a lot of pronghorn and I hope I can eat a lot more. It is one of my favorites.

Robin
Old 02-03-2004, 10:10 PM

Properly cared for, antelope meat is superb, perhaps even the best of the wild game. As others have said, you must skin it and cool it down immediately. If this is done, it has a delicate texture without the gamey flavor some deer have. If you treat it like you would a deer and delay skinning and cooling it down, it's as bad as a rutting buck. When in good antelope country, we literally drive around with a cooler full of ice with the goal of having the quarters on ice within 20-30 minutes of the animal hitting the ground. Try it, you will be favorably impressed.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always heard the same thing about lopes and it kind of turned me off to hunting them, for awhile anyway. We (my group) does just as the above have stated, skin, quarter and get on ice. The meat is always excellent!

When I'm hunting in Wyoming I see lots of guys who will shot a lope early in the day and it's still in the back of his pickup at night while he is sipping barley, what a waste of fine flesh.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a semi-related note I was talking with my buddy back in Wisconsin and he told me that another friend of ours was just cutting up his deer from rifle season. He shot a little 6 point a day or two before turkey day and it's been hung in his garage ever since. I had to ask him to repeat that to me since I must have heard him wrong, but I didn't. Kind of wondering how 2.5 months of aging will make that little buck taste, and how much of the meat is dried all the way through the skin.

Quick Reply: Antelope good eating?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.