Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Antelope good eating?

Old 02-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Antelope good eating?

2.5 months of aging
Thats rough, I know a guy who had 2 deer hanging this year till they turned black, totaly digusting how some people are [:@]
Old 02-03-2004, 10:54 PM

Not to bad tasting, just cook it with lots of tomato sauce!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats rough, I know a guy who had 2 deer hanging this year till they turned black, totaly digusting how some people are
Yes it is! I'm so completely anal about the game that I kill. Lots of time when I'm hunitng back in Wisconsin we cut up just about all of our deer together (2-6 guys) and sometimes I end up not doing mine when all the guys are around just because I won't stand for my meat being compromised. I have to tell you, my meat is always the best too.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:11 PM

i had antelope roast once and it was great. I'd like to get my hands on some again but they closed the season in sask i believe. It was really tender and tasted great. I had that years ago when i was a kid but i still remember that taste.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pronghorn is excellent meat. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:15 AM

It's one of my favorite meats. I can't remember having a bad antleope, and I have eat a few!!!!!
Old 02-04-2004, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

but they closed the season in sask i believe...FYI, Hiawatha there has been a draw only season in southern zones for 3 years now and the lopers #'s are coming back nicely. Get yourself and hunting group in on the draw as many aren't going so you have a good chance of getting a tag in few years. You can just pick zone 99 to hold your spot until you determine what zones would be the best
Personally I love antelope as table fair, but it really is essential to process asap like mentioned. I have prepared it many ways, but a roast just seasoned slow cooked or a bbq steak of loper is some fine dining IMHO. I think some people get the yuk taste when field dressing and if they process as lopes do have a strong smell but if we all ate by our nose many lovely dishes would be x'd

I also don't buy that sage taste thing, moose eats sticks/branches for god sakes and they don't taste like a diamond willow....all in your head & how it is cared for after the kill.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:50 PM

I agree with skeeter on the sage taste. Antelope on alfalfa fields taste the same as the ones that have been dining on different kinds of brush.

They also smell the same no matter what they've been eating.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:18 PM

I agree with wyote and skeeter, it is all in your head!
Old 02-04-2004, 06:24 PM

I agree, sounds gross, but when I was in Montana hunting elk, they had elk hind quarters hanging in the garage for weeks.. they let it hang until it gets all moldy, they say makes the meat really tender. Once the meat is covered with bacteria, they scrape it off and it's ready to eat..nice and tender they say. I have to admit, 2.5 months seems a little too long for me... [X(]

Quick Reply: Antelope good eating?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.