Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Number of Elk you can take in Co.

Old 02-12-2004, 09:22 PM

Default RE: Number of Elk you can take in Co.

cherokee it seems you know a lot about elk in colorado, maybe if possible can you give me a "forcast" for the Meeker area. i usually hunt around the meeker area, cant remember the area numbers. also do you run an outfit where you take people out on guided hunts. could you give me info on your giuded hunts too?

thanks
8x8bull
Old 02-13-2004, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't tell some one where to go being I personally don't hunt in that unit. In unit 211 a very good hot spot is the area surrounding morgan creek. There is also a ranching for wildlife tag you maybe interested in *Morgan Creek Ranch* very high success rate.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/ranching/morgan_creek.asp check that out . It will take you about ten years to draw that tag. The other option is to scout the area right around the ranch for spots the elk migrate in and out of the ranch.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:13 PM

HEY CHEEROKEE THANKS FOR THE LINK BUT A FREIND OF MINE MENTIONED A PLACE CALLED CRAWFORD CREEK? ANY INFO ON CRAWFORD CREEK?
Old 02-19-2004, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

8x8

I haven't been to crawford creek or heard anything about the area. sorry
Old 02-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

cherokee_outfitters
Please do not take offense. I disagree with having the resident & non-residents split the odds of drawing a tag 50/50.
The residents pay property tax, sales tax & spend money in the state 52-weeks a year. The state manages the game herd.
The Forest service does maintain the forests. I will give you that one.
Around this part of Montana the "Forest Circus" has sat on there hands. They have done very little trail work & NO road work in the ranger district I live in. I talked with a person from the forest service last night, he said count on more of the same for the summer of 2004. He said the dollars just were not there to maintain mountain roads. Hopfully the "healthy forest" plan will put dollars into maintaining the forests & not just buying new gates & locks.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I failed to mention in my last post that I would not mind hunting elk in Colorado one year. In fact I might just do it this year? I would be happy to pay the higher cost of a non-resident tag. I would most likely just buy a cow tag the first year. Then if I find an area I like I might apply for a bull tag the following year?
Old 02-19-2004, 10:56 AM

The state makes a killing on the sale of nonresident tags. I paid $480 for an over the counter bull tag in CO for 2nd rifle season. My younger brother who is a resident only paid like $25 for the same tag. Hopefully I can get moved back out there in time to get a resident tag this year. I don't want to see the state go to a draw only system, but if they do I think that the out of state hunters should have the same odds of getting drawn as everybody else. If they don't, they'll just take their money to another state where they have better odds of getting a tag.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want to see the state go to a draw only system, but if they do I think that the out of state hunters should have the same odds of getting drawn as everybody else. If they don't, they'll just take their money to another state where they have better odds of getting a tag.
I'm pretty sure that every western state that has elk hunting has some type of cap on non-residents drawing a tag, so you aren't going to get better odds anywhere. And even in colorado does go to total draw you can draw a tag every year without any problems, you just can't draw a tag for some units that have high priority or trophy hunts.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:07 PM

The state makes a killing on the sale of nonresident tags. I paid $480 for an over the counter bull tag in CO for 2nd rifle season. My younger brother who is a resident only paid like $25 for the same tag. Hopefully I can get moved back out there in time to get a resident tag this year. I don't want to see the state go to a draw only system, but if they do I think that the out of state hunters should have the same odds of getting drawn as everybody else. If they don't, they'll just take their money to another state where they have better odds of getting a tag.
i dont think you have to draw you just have to draw in the PREMIUM areas where hunting is so sucessful( meaning the quality of kills). The main reason why COLORADO has OTC tags is because they want to maintain a specific POPULATION of elk. Keep in mind that 30 yrs ago it was rare to see an ELK walking around. now you can see them in huge herds and the Elk population is growing pretty quick. I also think that COLORADO has the Best ELK hunting in the Country by far with exception to UTAH only because they border COLORADO.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Wolf killer

Wolf Killer Ive ben hunting elk in CO. every year for nine years and Iam a resident from IL. ( those $250.25 days were great) but if vour going to CO. to hunt spend the money buy buy a bull tag. I bow hunt mainly so I get the ethier sex tag .Me and my friend our running a 50% average on killing elk all have been bulls except two and thats on public ground on our own. And one of the bulls was a 300+ . Not to shaby for do it your self hunts. It took us two years to figure it out and alot of work and I mean alot of work .But every since then I have had sevral chanes to take elk . Just go hunt hard and even if you dont even see a elk being in the high country that time year is one of the most adicting place youll ever go and you will be back no matter what the cost. Good Luck and good hunting.