Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado's proposed changes

Old 02-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Colorado's proposed changes

http://wildlife.state.co.us/hunt/Big...es_1-22-04.pdf

Go here for the "Draft policy alternatives" that Colorado is considering for the next 5 year season structure. Some good ideas and some scary ideas for us nonresidents. Don't get me wrong, I can see where they may want to lower the percentage of nonresidents even more (especially on hard to draw hunts), but I sure hope they don't start charging us $250 (nonrefundable) to apply for a preference point.

And I hope they don't monkey with the preference point system too much. I think most guys like the present preference point system (people with the most preference points are picked first) for all hunts except the hard to draw hunts. For those hunts, they might put up 70% of the tags in the preference point drawing, and then put up 30% in a random lottery. That still rewards the guys who have collected preference points all these years, but gives others with 0 points at least a chance to draw

Go read it and tell me what you think
Old 02-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Colorado's proposed changes

Colorado can't figure out what to do on their regulations. What they are mainly trying to get to is a total draw across the board. I'm a resident and I don't care if they give the non-residents all the tags in a draw unit. But if I lived in a draw area I would probally feel different.

I just would like to be able to hunt every year and not miss a year because of a draw. Colorado division of wildlife doesn't have enough personal to cover its surveys correctly. Some area's deer and elk are in abundance while some area's are over hunted. We've lost the quality here in colorado. To get it back may take a draw but I hate to see it come to that. You can't hunt elk 5 months out of the year its just not realistic.

I'm scared to death of what they will come up with next. All draws should atleast be 50/50 between residents and non-residents. The price change over the last couple of years just caught colorado up on other states prices.

Being able to kill three to four elk a year because they think the elk are overpopulated. Whoa people some places may be overpopulated but some are not and you can't base this idea statewide.

They need more input from the people actually in the field seeing what's going on with the animals.
Help us keep hunting in colorado open and over the counter
Old 02-01-2004, 10:32 AM

We did an archery elk hunt in CO in September 2003. It was the last week of archery season. I cant remember the draw unit number but it was near Salida, CO. We used LaGarita Outfitters, Mike Deleo was a great guy! I dont know if it was because of the weather or not, but we did not see 1 elk the whole trip. During the day it was between 85 and 90 and night it was 15....very chilly. What is the best place in CO to archery elk hunt? Any ideas? We were actually contacted by CO wildlife when we got home to find out if we were successful.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The way that I understand all of those "proposed" changes were they are suggestions from meeting/write ins. I have a hard time believing that the DOW came up with some of them.

The thing about these is that my "wants" are going to be completely different than an outfitters like cherokee_outfitters. He has an agenda, just like me, but he makes a living off of his, and mine is just an obsession.

I've gone to these meetings in the past to try and get my voice heard and always come away with the same feeling, there are way to many stupid people on this earth.