Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

High fenced trophies?

Old 02-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: High fenced trophies?

I have news for you. Bucks and bulls on private land come and go anywhere they want. There is no barriers to stop them from traveling from one tract of land to another. How can anyone oppose recording game that is no way resricted in thier movement. The deer I see on my land may be ten ranches north or south from one week to another. They travel to the prime feed and water sources just as they do on public land. None of the private land that I hunt clloose thier land to let the size of the animals increase. Part of the key to getting permission to hunt private land is to utilize the doe and cow tags to help them prevent overpopulatio and crop damage.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is a no win argument with proponents of High Fencing... The funniest part is what they charge for some of these hunts and the yahoos who apparently pay these fees... Just shows you what an inflated EGO will do for a person. Hope their real proud when they down a "Record Book Buck"...
Old 02-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not into high fence hunting. However I am in favor of the landowners being able to set these up on thier land. Many do it to help pay the Prperty taxes and things like that. As I said before, these animals should only be allowed in thier own set of books. Many of these ranchers pay more in property tax every year that the ranches cost to purchase when thier families bought them.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

James .. Hunting private land is common all over the US. I would bet the house that MOST hunting across the US by far is on Private property. But hunting( or lets call it shooting) in High Fenced is what was originally posted. I can't imagine anyone having a problem with you or anyone taking a new record on "private property"
Old 08-14-2004, 10:38 AM

Ummm I don't know about you but hunting Texas hill country for the sheep species sounds fun to me and my self dont care about the trophy or not my dream tho is to travel the world hunt every place I can and even use the methods that the locals use if it isan't etical to some or alot but it is to them then so be it. Im not in it for the horns,skull size, or antlers. Im in it for the experaince and the thrill of the hunt and to be sure if I go hunting in texas someday I will not be hunting from a feeder ill be stalking baby! [:-]

P.S sorry for chiming in on such a old thread!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Record Books- I am sure IF we knew the stories behind ALL the entries many would not be RECORDS, no matter who was keeping them.
Unfortunatly, some (not all) will do anything to see their picture, name in a book. I respect all who manage a trophy the honest way. Myself, I like to see them but could care less who took it & if high fence, low fence, no fence or private. Public, yes because you USUALLY have to do a little extra to get a crack at them.
I have hunted high fence, no fence, public & private but have never had an animal scored to enter into any type book & yes, I have a few.
good luck in your Bowhunting, no matter where you go.