Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

High fenced trophies?

Old 01-30-2004, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: High fenced trophies?

I don't know much about the record books and really couldn't care less. However it has some meaning to other hunters. I have not one thing in the world against high fence hunting. I have never done it and unless I win a lottery, I quess I never will. This said, I don't think any Game farm or high fence animal shoul be allowed in the books unless there is a seperate set of books for them. Even then the record sholud go to the outfit that raised them not the guy who killed it. Sort of a stock show prize. You can call high fence hunting a harvest ,a meat gathering trip or whatever you choose and anyone who doesn't like it should avoid it at all cost and leave anyone who wants to do it alone. If I want to and can afford to go pop a year supply of buffalo meat at one of the buffalo hunt ranches then I will do it and feel no shame whatsoever. What would I call that trip? A Meat Harvest that I did myself.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kill a cow elk in one million acres of untamed wilderness and you got yourself a trophy.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:24 PM

Nice Elkcrazy! That is a true trophy!
Old 01-31-2004, 09:35 PM
Typical Buck

My opinion:
Open to the public land only. If you have no fence on your 1000 acre property and you have a food plot in the middle your growing deer.
If your hunting it yourself or selling the rights to a hunter you have an unfair advantage that the rest don't have.
A book animal should be one all has access to.PERIOD![]
Old 01-31-2004, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

Jorgy quoted....
You can't compare "fenced in" areas by land mass. Size isn't as important as terrain.
J3K2c1....suppose you took that same cow elk, high fenced that million acres of wilderness and then hunted her down and havested her....would it still be a trophy or a canned hunt?

Bob that works fine with states that have plenty of public/goverment owned to access, what about the states that dont?

doubleA
Old 02-01-2004, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

DoubleA:
Don't want to get to deep here and this is just MY opinion. In those area's where you have little or no puplic land.....You have no more honest trophy's in my opinion.
I know we could get into the debate about the square mile of public in the middle of low fenced private.
Times are changing and so should the criteria for the honest (WILD) trophy.
I don't know......... When I think of a trophy book animal I picture a guy out in the public woods scouting and hunting hard trying to get that monster the community has been trying to harvest for years.
Not the guy who waits for hunting season to drive his ATV to his heated stand in the middle of his food plot.
I don't put much stock in record books anyway. I use them as a tool for genetics in a certain area that has lots of puplic land. Which as you stated is a shrinking commodity.
Just my opinions of course and we could devote a whole site to the issue.[:-]
Old 02-01-2004, 10:05 AM

In response to doubleA
I would still consider that a canned hunt. for the simple reason of in a high-fenced ranch, they put you in a spot that they know that the elk/whatever animal that your hunting crosses near regularly. It is in no way the same type of hunt. I used hunt in there only for a lack of a better word to combine the two, so instead maybe harvest or killing.

If it was for a cow elk purely for the meat of the animal, I would consider that, if I hadn't drawn out on a tag for some other area. It is a matter of obtaining meat. But when it involves taking a "trophy" it shouldn't be allowed in the record books. It would never have attained as much mass and tine length had it been on public land it's entire life.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

they put you in a spot that they know that the elk/whatever animal that your hunting crosses near regularly.
So what do you think of guided hunts then on public land?
Old 02-01-2004, 10:27 AM

I am unsure about those, they have a fairly high success rate, but the size of the animal is much smaller.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally 99% of the time I'm just takin' my gun for a walk so it don't matter what kind of freakin' land I'm on

Quick Reply: High fenced trophies?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.