Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

OHV's priveledges in trouble?

Old 02-01-2004, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: OHV's priveledges in trouble?

We stopped hunting the low country because of atv's. While some use them responsible, others misuse them call it human nature to try and get away with stuff. I will voice my opinion on this. If you expect to see game riding through the trees on a atv your nuts. We have healthy young men riding up to where they plan to sit for the day. Meaning off trail or road travel. That's a disgrace calling themselves hunters. Disabled people have a disadvantage to the rest of us on mobility and I believe they should be allowed to have more access but not the minor disabled people.

Example: We have a friend that had back surgery, he couldn't walk long periods of time. So we let him hunt our pasture right up next to the mountain. All he had to do was walk from the gate to the river about 200yds. Hes more than able to do this. What does he do, he drives his atv to the river and complains all week there was no elk showing up. We didn't even bother to tell him why. Laziness is why we have more and more atv trails being built in the national forest.

Shall we just clear cut the national forest so we can see where the game is and then the trees wouldn't be in the way of where we want to drive atv's. If I could ban one thing in the national forest it would be atv's on trails. Not roads but trails. You want to enjoy the forest do it one step at a time. You might see something new.

Oh boy gonna take hits on this one hehe I don't care I got big shoulders
Old 02-02-2004, 07:17 PM

Default RE: OHV's priveledges in trouble?

Hey Cherokee, not going to take any hits from me. I hope folks relize I never suggested allowing ATV's off roads or trails except possibly to retrieve game. Also, I didn't mean allowing ATV's on hiking trails. I was thinking more of old logging roads and trails built for ATV's. I guess I have a problem with trying to block a group(a very large group) of users from the forest. There are a lot of non-hunters that don't like us being out there and they might outnumber us. They also accuse us of destroying their outdoor experiences and running the animals off. So how do we decide who's allowed and who's not? If there is real resource degredation then it's not a question. These are questions I ask myself when trying to come up with the right decisions. Fortunately we do involve the public when making corporate decisions and hopefully we make the right decisions that benefit everyone and especially the forest, and wildlife that live in them.