Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Questions regarding Mountain Lion Attack

Old 01-15-2004, 05:51 PM

Default RE: Questions regarding Mountain Lion Attack

Hey Guys,

I think we could get the cats to eat liberals. Just because liberals have "bad taste"...doesn't necessarily equate to "tasting bad"! It's certainly worth a try.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:46 PM

j3k-you are right on and if you get a chance to hunt lion keep the meat. It tastes just like good pork unless the lion recently ate a liberal peta member then they taste kinda like weeners.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:17 AM

I think that the lions would eat liberals.

Yeah they probably taste bad, but once in awhile one of my dogs will eat its own crap. I'm guessing that it tastes much the same as a democrap....uhhh...I mean democrat.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:00 AM

Hey mainehunt,

Probably has about the same IQ as well!
Old 01-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mountain lions populations are really on the rise in Western SD. It has coincided with an explosion of the deer population. Several mild winters and deduced numbers of hunters that will take advantage of the antleless tags has caused a boom in deer (mostly does) population. Absoltely, hunters should do the thinning. I have no real interest in hunting them but many people would.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:17 PM
7x7

Living here in Oregon and growing up hunting cougar with hounds. Cougar numbers have skyrocketed in the last ten years. Ever since the tree huggers in Portland and Eugene voted in the ban of hound dogs.

There is an article in this weeks Sunday paper how elk numbers are down here in Oregon and they can tie it directly to preditors, particularly the cougar.

Here is a link to the article if you would like to read it.
Local fishwrap article

Just four years ago while deer hunting my oldest son was with my brother-in-law in a stand and they turned around and saw a huge cat 40 yards away sneaking up on them. Luckily my brother-in-law had time to shoot and he did get it.

They say the cougar numbers are around 5000 but I am sure the numbers are much higher just in the last two weeks I know of two people who have seen cougars.One was on my Father-in-law's ranch in northeastern oregon they lost 3 calves to a cougar and a friend of mine has a friend who lives in the foothills of the Willamette Valley saw a cougar tracking a doe on his property. When I was a kid and we could still hunt with hounds we used to drive 6 hours from the Willamette Valley to La Grande to hunt cougars because there were so few of them west of the Cascades now they are common place.

Sorry to ramble on but this whole cougar thing is kind of my soap box and it really upsets me. I get really upset with the people who voted this stupid law into affect and they never ever get out of there concrete city and even get out and enjoy this beautiful state of ours. Most of them wouldn't even know what a cougar looks like, but if this keeps up they will someday when that cougar is killing there cats and dogs and maybe even them because the numbers are out of control.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:39 AM

You could relocate some cats to the seattle area, they voted in the no dogs rule in wash state. The good side is we can buy cougar tag for $5 now instead of 24
Why the general public ever voted in a game issue is stupid. The last five years we are seeing more cats that ever. One my brother had to shoot while elk hunting. I shot one this year from a tree stand.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Red Hawk - There are some states that do allow some hunting of Mt. Lions. Wyoming is one I know of. Talked with a local hunter in N.W. WY last fall while out there hunting Elk. They generally hunt them with dogs to track and tree them, as I understand. Though the fellow we talked to said they can be very dangerous even with dogs.

He knew a fellow that got down in a deep ravine and was killed by one. It's not something I personally would take on without someone who has the knowledge and experience to do it while minimizing the risks. Though anytime you set foot in a territory where there's a large predator like that or big bears there is always risk.

I agree though the populations of these big cats, wolves and gizzly bears need to be kept in check. It's become such a political thing here in Minnesota with wolves, people just don't use common sense when you mention getting them off the endangered list and put in a program to keep their population from getting any more out of hand than it already is here.