Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best rifle for big game?

Old 01-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best rifle for big game?

What is the best all around rifle for elk, bear, moose, deer, caribou? I have been considering the 300WSM, 30-06, 270, 7MM-08. What are the pros and cons of these or other rifles???
Old 01-08-2004, 02:14 PM
jjt

Default RE: Best rifle for big game?

I hunted for years with a 270 took all the game you have listed with it however it is small for anything above caribou (IMO)

i recently moved to the .300wm for that purpose it is large enough for elk and bear and has great down range power the recoil is slightly more but it is still tolerable and when the bullet it sized properly you have a very flat shooting/accurate rifle
Old 01-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt the following game animals. Antelope, Whitetail, Mule Deer, Black bear & Elk. Ihave hunted Big Horn Sheep & Mountain Goat with sucess. I have yet to draw a Moose tag.[:'(] For hunting all of the above mentioned game my 300-winchester mag does a fine job.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I believe the .30-06 is just the right size to take all big game in North America with proper loads for different species.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:03 PM

Hi hammer06,

If you'd like a much more definitive source of information concerning these and many more cartridges try this site:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2e.rifle_cartridges.htm

You will find a wealth of information concerning these cartridges...and their applications. You could probably harvast all the species you named...with any of the calibers you named. (Though if "big bear" are on the agenda you'd be wise to consider cartridges at the larger end of the spectrum you covered.)

Anyway...there is probably an answer to "your question" located in the information Chuck Hawks provides. Good luck with your search!
Old 01-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Wolf killer and jjt, are you using a 300 win mag or 300 Win short mag? has anyone had any experience with the short magnum? or is there any difference?
Old 01-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am shooting the old 300-Winchester magnum. There was no such thing as a 300-WSM when I bought my 300-winchester magnum.
If I had to due it over again today, it would be a tough choice. I think I would still buy the standard 300-Winchester mag just due to the price of factory ammo.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:17 PM

There is no best our of the guns you named for what you want. They all have there pro's and con's. The only sulition to this is either buy them all or get one of the T/C encores and get the different barrels. The pros are that if you want to go elk hunting and have the .270 but would rather have a little more gun you only need to buy a barrel. A big con that i find with it is that its a single shot and i like to have a gun able to give me a quick follow up shot.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:17 PM
jjt

I chose the .300 win mag over the short mag
just for the simple fact it is easier to aquire anything for that rifle caliber it has been around longer
(I am a left handed shooter)
i have yet to shoot a 300 wsm in the field i have shot a couple at the range
Old 01-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

300wsm in a model 70 laminate or featherweight. Want to learn more about shortmags go to www.shortmags.org

Quick Reply: Best rifle for big game?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.