Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Planning a hunt

Old 01-06-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Planning a hunt

I was thinking of going on a guided elk hunt. I live in maine and have not had the chance to hunt elk so I know i will have to plan an out of state trip ahead of time but how early is to early and how late is to late? Does anybody have any experince in this or with guides from different states? If so what state and who was the guide and how were they personally and what size were there animals.

Any pic's of animals taken would be helpful to make my mind up on a state and a guide serveic.

Andy_o
Old 01-06-2004, 08:16 PM

Default RE: Planning a hunt

If you want a cheap garenteed, well as close to as you can get on an elk hunt, go to Colorado or montana. the bulls aren't as big but they are also a lot cheaper. If you want a really big bull try for a nevada, utah, arizona, or new mexico tag, then get an outfitter.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Spike

Andy
I have hunted in Idaho (no luck) and New Mexico (nice 6x6) with a outfitter named Ric Martin. This a top notch outfitter, but not cheap. He hunts around the old Bacca Ranch. If you have any questions e-mail me.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

As far as how early is to early- I don't think there is such a thing. I went on a guided mule deer hunt this fall that I started planning for 20 months earlier. The farther out you plan, the more options you have because fewer outfitters will be booked up.