Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Have you ever been lost while hunting or scouting?

Old 01-02-2004, 10:13 AM

Default Have you ever been lost while hunting or scouting?

I have pondered this question and wondered if any of you would share what you did when you got lost in the woods or mountains while hunting or scouting? I have had both experiences happen to me, both in a blizzard, and scary. The first experience was in the mountains and I almost died, someone from a camp close to us did perish and was never found, the second one, helped me survive due to the first experience. Would you know what to do if you did get lost? If you have been lost how did you get yourself out?

Dr. Mike
[email protected]
Old 01-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Have you ever been lost while hunting or scouting?

i've been lost on a hunting trip one day for about 6 hours where i didn't know where i was....untill i came out on a road that was on the other side of where i went in....about 5-10 miles away....thank god it wasn't bad weather.............bob
Old 01-04-2004, 02:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thankfully I have never been lost. I have been turned around for a few minutes until I stoped and got my bearings. Usually walking back down the mountain to camp after dark.

I can give you a story of one thing to not do though.

My uncle and my father were hunting elk in montana many years ago. While they were out a snow storm came up and my uncle got turned around and actually got lost. He started walking around and got even more lost. He then began firing the S.O.S three shot groups into the air. My father heard the shots but the problem was that he was doing this during normal shooting hours so no one realized that is was him needing help. They all figured that someone was simply shooting at targets or something. Well once it was actually dark for some time my father went out from camp and also began firing into the air wanting him to fire back. Now the problem was that my uncle had gotten down to just a couple of rounds left and didn't want to just waste them. He had to spend most of the night in the mountains of Montana during a snow storm and was not properly prepared to stay warm through the night. He eventually made it to a ranch miles away from camp that took him in and warmed him up and gave him food and a place to sleep for the rest of the night. Had he not found that ranch he could have easily died in the mountains. They got him back to the guides place and the guide got him back to camp just as my father was getting ready to head out to talk to the police and start a search and rescue.

What he did wrong was not staying in one place and getting set up for a cold night, wasting all of his ammo during normal shooting hours, not being prepared for the worst.

What he did right was continue down hill until he came to some type of civilization.

If you are ever actually lost in the mountains do not just go walking around blindly. Stop where you are and get prepared to spend the night or a few nights in the woods. Gather fire wood and make a large fire to keep you warm and so that it is easily seen by others.

Make a shelter to stay out of falling snow or rain. Water will draw heat out of your body so much faster than dry air and can quickly kill you. This will also help reflect heat back to you and keep you warmer.

Gather up pine branches with good thick needles on them and make yourself a thick bed with them.It may not be comfortable but they will help keep you insulated from the cold ground and help you stay warmer.

Save your ammo until you are sure that someone will know for sure that you are in need of help. After dark and after all other shooting has stoped.

Make sure that you have the essential survival gear like a space blanket, beef jerkey, matches, water, rope, knife, saw etc... If you need a fire starter take out a bullet from its case and pour the gun powder out to get a fire going.

Stay as dry as possible!!!
Old 01-04-2004, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

outdoor338, haven't you stirred up enough crap in the past several weeks as it is? I know, I know, you are researching background material etc. etc. Well, get out and set around some campfires, buy some rounds at the local tavern, smell some gunsmoke, do something other than stir crap!!!!!! What would Hemingway or Ruark have done in this situation? Surely not ask this motley group of grizzled old farts their opinion.!
Old 01-04-2004, 05:32 PM

I have been turned around before. I ended up following a creek for about 4 miles, till it came out to a road and I followed the road back to camp. I think one of the biggest things you can do when lost is try not to PANIC, stay calm and it will help your body stay dry. Always carry emergency supplies at all times while in the mountains while hunting or hiking. Got the steak and taters on the grill boys...
Old 01-04-2004, 08:09 PM

Coastie,

Greetings from Colorado, I read your note, stirred up crap, huh! Well, I have never intended to cause problems, but seems to me you are not happy with several opinions that I have recieved from these folks, they are good idea's and very constructive. I would have to say to you, if Hemingway had access to the internet, you think he would sit in bars and do his research? I believe he would do both, on the internet and at the bar. I am in the field hundreds of hours a year, doing interviews. I enjoy this site, it's the best information I have read from the average hunter, if you see my name, just move on. No reason to get worked up on your part

Dr. Mike

outdoor338, haven't you stirred up enough crap in the past several weeks as it is? I know, I know, you are researching background material etc. etc. Well, get out and set around some campfires, buy some rounds at the local tavern, smell some gunsmoke, do something other than stir crap!!!!!! What would Hemingway or Ruark have done in this situation? Surely not ask this motley group of grizzled old farts their opinion.!
Old 01-05-2004, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greetings to you from Georgia, I have no problem at all with the stated opinions of anybody in regard to your questions. I would like to see some commentary from you on occaision though, as the debate on various questions you pose is continuing. I was told of an Air Force unit back in the 60's that would award, on a monthly basis, a huge wooden spoon to the member that caused the greatest ruckus each month by asking a question or making a comment then disapearing until the dust settled, your material gathering tactic just reminds me of that.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:56 AM

Hi Coastie,

Thanks for your come back, I appreciate it. I will be more than happy to post a commentary for you and the readers of my posts. I will do this on Rocky Mountain Outdoor Adventures television shows website once we get that up and running. I also use a lot of material from these posts to script segments, and give me show idea's. I have found that posts from you and others actually have more insight then most outdoor writers who write for a living. Tips and idea's that have birthed some incredible show idea's. I listen to what is on the outdoor enthusiasts heart, hunters, fishermen, men and women. If you Coastie have idea's I am all ears, let me know what you think! Again thanks for getting back to me, take care and God bless.

Dr. Mike
[email protected]