Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Elk decoys, any success?

Old 01-01-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Montana Elk decoys, any success?

Have any of you had success using the Montana elk decoy? I used one this year and had two bulls come into it while using a cow call. The first bull caught me off guard and was with in 15 yards of me and the decoy, didn't even hear him come in behind me on the top of a ridge, the second bull ran to the decoy and the cow call a nice 4X5 shot him at 45 yards, just wondering if anyone else has used one on public hunting grounds and had some success, thanks.

Dr. Mike
[email protected]
Old 01-01-2004, 07:41 PM

Default RE: Montana Elk decoys, any success?

My buddy got a 4x4 bull on public land this year over the cow decoy. The bull came in to 7 yards of my buddy when he nailed him.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:35 PM

Have used them with good results in the right situation just remember that most archery seasons cows are legal and somebody might get to flinging arrows at your decoy.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:21 PM

I have had good success with them. I had four bulls come in at once this last fall.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:47 PM

Never used one but have been intrigued by the idea.

The older ones I saw were folable plastic. Are those Montanas easy to fold/unfold? Seems like I heard some criticism about this. They look very realistic and light to carry.

Any other input?
Old 01-10-2004, 03:56 PM

HiBullkllr,

I had no problem with the breakdown of my elk decoy, just make sure that you have extra rubber bands for when you fold it up. They packed well into my day pack and worked great, had two bulls come in and the cow calling helped work with the decoy.

Best investment for elk hunting if you hunt on public lands, just make sure you set it up away from getting shot at. that is the scarest aspect of using the Montana decoy.

Dr. Mike
Old 01-11-2004, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the info. Think I might just invest in one for next year.

Pretty unbelievable/scary to think that there might actually be bowhunters out there who would have trouble identifying a decoy at bow range...

...has this actually ever happened? Sounds kind of crazy, but then nothing much surprises me too much I guess!
Old 01-12-2004, 06:21 AM

Bullkller,

I have never heard of anyone getting shot while using a Montana decoy, but why take a chance while setting up the decoy, I think even in bow hunting you have to be careful, now with some rifle hunters, you have people who shoot first and then see if elk was legal. That's the kind of people that would see the cow decoy and shoot and never notice you sitting off to the side, its that realistic looking.

You will be glad that you purchased one, take care and good hunting.

Dr. Mike