Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado question

Old 01-01-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Colorado question

I posted this on the western forum, but maybe someone here can share some insight:

First off, Happy New Year to all!

Secondly, I am starting to organize an elk hunting trip to Colorado. I hunted elk in Montana this fall and although I did not tag a bull, it was an awesome trip. I thought I would try Colorado for the next hunt (different scenery, lower cost among my reasons).

My question is prefenerce points. I am looking into hunting gmu76 and was wondering how many points are necessary to draw a tag? How many points can you accumulate in one year? Lets say 6 points are necessary, how many years drawings am I realistically looking at before getting drawn? I tried the Colorado DOW website and was not able to find the info I was looking for.

Has anyone here ever hunted that gmu (76) before?

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,
YLM
Old 01-01-2004, 12:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Colorado question

I have never hunted in 76 before but you can only get one preferance point per species per year. This is because you are only allowed to put in for one draw tag per species per year. If you do not draw a tag for your area you get one point and will either get your second choice or can buy an over the counter tag or get a refund. However if you do not draw your first choice you still get your preferance point even though you may get your second choice or an OTC tag. So you can still hunt in other areas until you get enough points for 76.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Spike

YLM,
as stated before, you get one preference point per year for the species that you are unsuccessful in the draw for (regardless of weapon preference).
I haven't hunted 76 nor do I know of anyone that has but if I did draw that tag I would hire an outfitter because by the time you've invested 4 to 9 years waiting you may as well maximize your chances of being successful.
There is a really useful CD called the Colorado Outdoors Biggame CD. It can show you historical data so you can see exactly how many points were required to draw various tags. You didn't say what season you'd be interested in hunting so here's the run down for 2003 for non residents for bull tags. This should be read: Season, Min_pts_required, Max_pts, 1st_choice_apps, tags_issued
archery 4, 5, 240, 58
1st Rifle 6, 7, 808, 76
2nd Rifle 5, 6, 249, 30
3rd rifle 5, 6, 122, 15
muzz 8, 9, 259, 27

Hope this helps and Happy New Year back at you,
Will
Old 01-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Happy New Year YLM.

GMU 76 is managed as a trophy unit. Minimum six years to draw. You might look into adjacent units (there are nine), for those bulls that "wander off". Most of those adjacent units have otc tags so you can see the area while you wait to draw. Also, some of those adjacent units have leftovers as well. I don't know many folks that are willing to wait six years when the hunting is so good in other units.

Good luck.

CE
Old 01-01-2004, 04:17 PM

Great advice guys, you can also contact the DOW-Division Of Wildlife, they can help answer lots of your questions, the CD mentioned before is a great tool for the beginner hunting in Colorado, I suggest anyone hunting in Colorado get the CD from the DOW, it can save you lots of money by telling you where the elk are and the % of success of harvested game, takes away the guessing game of hunting in Colorado, good luck.

Dr. Mike
Old 01-01-2004, 04:31 PM

Thank you everyone...your advice is very helpful!!
Old 01-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to http://wildlife.state.co.us/ Click on "hunting", click on "more", click on "big game harvest statistics". You can then search any unit/any season for preference points required and hunter success.

Unit 76 has been going up in preference points almost every year. I would suspect that it would take at least 7-8 points (7-8 years) before you could be drawn. Good luck.