Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Your experience with outfitters?

Old 01-01-2004, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Your experience with outfitters?

Just curious how others have made out on Outfitted Hunts. I posted a couple of weeks ago "looking for recommendations" and received no post's! Is this because nobody here has had a good enough experience on these hunts? It's more curiosity then anything else. As some of you know we both to go to the same outfitter and have different opinions.
These hunts are getting more expensive by the year..not saying these outfitters don't work hard! I feel sorry for the young hunter's who would like to do a guided hunt >> how will they ever afford it. It appears most outfitters have a good operation... I think over the years things have changed..
more money = better operation ?

Your Opinion?
Old 01-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Your experience with outfitters?

Outdoor, I have never been on a guided hunt for that very reason until this last weekend, I went on a hoghunt. But it was paid for by my boss. LOL

I do work as a guide and we do spend many many hours in the woods scouting for deer sign and movement, and hanging and re- hanging stands to have them in the best locations for our clients. We do everything we can to get our clients on big deer. We have outfits in Pike Co. Ill. and Atlanta, Mo. and South Iowa. This year Iowa and of course Illinois rocked. Any particular questions you may have, just ask.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:21 PM

Choosing an outfitter takes a ton of research and No, more money doesn't always mean a better hunt. It might mean better accommodatons and services, but that doesn't make the actual hunt better. Just more comfortable. It often means more included items such as meals, licences, processing, etc. The more remote an outfitter is, the more demand for his species to be hunted are often the determining factors in his prices. Fly-ins are notoriously expensive, probably due to high insurance rates and operating expenses and the 'aura' of a complete wilderness, once in a lifetime hunt.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:57 PM

I have been one of the lucky ones. I have gone on over 20 guided hunts, most of them in the past ten years since I retired. So far, I have had only one really bad experience, and on that hunt, I took an elk and a mule deer. One thing I have learned is that you get what you pay for in most cases.

If you tell me what you are interested in, I might be able to help more.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:06 PM

I've been on several outfitted hunts. The best advice I could give is to talk to someone who went with an outfitter you are interested in. Get their refence list and make the calls. If they hesitate to give you a list ( and it should be a good size one), avoid them. I'm on a couple of reference list and I'm honest about the good and the bad of any outfitter I have used. Look for the outfitters who have repeat customers who didn't harvest a critter with them. This indicates at least some great service. I've had 2 outfitters that I have booked multiple hunts with simply because I had so much fun harvesting an animal was almost secondary. Also look for alternatives to the species you're after, for example good fishing nearby or bird hunting too. Get as much info. as you can because opinions can vary. I actually use a rating system when looking for an outfitter. I assign points based on what's important to me. i.e. chance to harvest, game care, cost, food, references, strategies used, etc. I enjoy doing the research during the non-hunting time of year.