Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

Old 12-31-2003, 06:47 AM

Default GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

I own both, which would you use in the wildernessfor hunting, scouting, I like the GPS for finding area's that I hunt, but I learned on the compass, and enjoy using both. So, if you had to pick, which one?

Dr. Mike
Old 12-31-2003, 07:07 AM

Default RE: GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

Mike, your GPS should have both. I like the GPS for accuracy, but given unpredictability of battery life, I'd keep a compass with you for safety reasons. Technology lets us do more and more. Just like marking way points on your GPS. I do alot of boating a night. My GPS can mark hazzards in the water and mark my way when it's too dark and no moon to see shorelines. Good luck and enjoy your GPS.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

GPS's are great, but if their batterys run out, if you drop it in the water or on the rocks, etc., and you don't know where you are, you could be in trouble. One possible drawback about a GPS is that they work so well that a person can get way back into the woods with them without paying attention to were they're going, and not noticing landmarks to find their way out if it fails. A compass stuck in a pocket is pretty cheap insurance.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Id rather have a gps.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:38 PM

I would'nt trust my life to a gps. Give me a compass and topo map anytime.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you own both and don't learn how to use them together as well as a map of the area you hunt and know how to use all of them together, you are a SAR (Search and Rescue) case waiting to happen.

If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose the compass and a map.

I really wish people would get over the notion that a GPS is the end all to getting about in the woods, mountains or on the water. It is nothing more and no less than another tool to be used in navigation.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

The question is, if you had to pick one!
In my case GPS all the way, if you say otherwise, that tells me you haven't used one much. Maps and compass are OK, try and use it when the fog sets in so thick you can't see your hand in front of your face or at dark. A GPS will work excellent under any condition, bar none. Batteries are the least of your concern. elknut1
Old 12-31-2003, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elknut, I know you are probaly right, but you gotta keep in mind I am an ole die-hard and I'll settle for my reliable compass, it don't need any batteries and I can always get a signal. There have been times when I have doubted it, but it has always brought me back. I know how a person can lock in on some coordinates if the satillates are in position might work out very well and it may not be a bad ideal to have one in your backpack if you can afford it, but I still reley on the dependable compass, providing you have a quality one.
I had a friend come up from Fla. last year with one of those GPS's and evidently he didn't know how to use it as he steered his wife and mine around the mountain, I explained to them the truck is this way because I knew where I was , he took out his GPS and said its this way, my wife just followed, it was a place we were familair with and we were at the very top of the mountain so the only place you could go is down, about 3 hrs later I met them at the truck and you can bet I ragged that Fla. boy about his electronics. Maybe one of these days, but not yet. Take care my friend, Bobby
Old 01-01-2004, 12:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Carry both the GPS for primary, and compass as back-up. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you go back and READ my reply, I noted that if I had to choose one, I'd go with the Compass and a map. As far as experience, I use GPS and maps and compasses in my work every day. I have been using GPS units since they became commercially available and Loran "C" before that.
As far as GPS working under any conditions, try going into a deep canyon or even into a large city and getting an accurate (or any) position, heavy tree cover may also give false information and if the constellation of satellites is not in just the right position you may get no usable information at all. Just to throw another kicker into the pot, what if the Government decides that for national security purposes, they have to throw unannounced, a bit of SA (selected availability) into the mix and sets everything off about a quarter mile.
Yes your GPS can tell you that the shortest route between point "A' where you are, and point "B" where the truck is, but it cannot tell you that the Grand Canyon or one of its cousins lies directly between you and the truck. Even those units with digital maps are next to useless due to the scale used and the limited space available on the LCD display.

Quick Reply: GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.