Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What tips would you like to share about elk hunting!

Old 12-24-2003, 12:14 PM

Default What tips would you like to share about elk hunting!

I have run into some great old time hunters, who shared some great tips for hunting elk, and of course I have some of my own. One of my tips, when hunting on any ground that contains cattle, is use the cow pies as a scent blocker, I step both feet in them and head up to my area. I know this helps eliminate scents picked up around camp, anyone want to share some of there secerts.

Dr. Mike
Old 12-24-2003, 12:46 PM
Spike

Default RE: What tips would you like to share about elk hunting!

Cow pies huh? Never tried that one. I always striped the pine needles off a branch (about a handfull of them) and broke them in half, then rubbed the two broken ends of the needles over my clothes. It left a nice pine smell.

Also, Make sure you use enough gun. The 30-30 will work, but it sure isn't the right tool for the job. The 300win mags and 338's are great for elk. I wouldn't go any smaller than the 30-06 or 270 with handloads.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:09 PM

hunt longer and harder than anything or anybody.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:23 PM

Make sure you have got it figured out HOW you are going to get to and from where you need to be (elk hunting spot versus camp) IN THE DARK BOTH WAYS! Get up much earlier than you need to, resign yourself to sleep deprivation, cowboy up, and just go do it. Be "on stand" per your scouting results an hour before sunrise.

Know which shots you can and cannot take per your earlier choice of rifle/cartridge and STAY TRUE to your limitations. When it is showtime don't delay pulling the trigger and after the first shot, keep shooting until it is down and out -- no sitting there admiring your first shot handiwork waiting for the elk to crumple -- they may choose to just keep on going. They for sure are NOT deer.

EKM
Old 12-24-2003, 01:27 PM

Glass, glass and then glass some more.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

get in shape it isnt just a walk in the woods
Old 12-24-2003, 07:45 PM

1. keep the wind in you face. elk have superior noses.
2. have water-proof clothes, and keep them in your backpack.
3. get a gps and know how to use it.
4. also have a compass for when the batteries go dead
5. put some emergency stuff in your backpack for when you are far from camp on those evening hunts
6. know about "thermal" air currents. hunt traveling uphill in the early am
7. take 2 knives, or be able to sharpen your 1 knife in the field
8. i use a bow, so i always have a rangefinder and binos
9. get in to great shape before you leave, walk a lot, and run a lot if you can. when you think you are in shape, you probably need to train another 2 weeks. those mtns are hard on a flatlander.
10. there are many more tips, but my fingers are tired. get a book or 2 from your public library. they all have lists of what to bring and what to do.
good hunting,
hal
Old 12-24-2003, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

1) Practice calling regularily!!! Don't pull out the bugle, diaphrams or blow calls the month prior and expect to be hitting every note come season.

2) Get a Hootchie Mama Squezze call it allows you (as a solo Hunter) to sounds like a herd by using a diaphram or blow call while using the Hootchie Mama.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:43 PM

Don't "over-bugle" a bull. If he's aggressive, then maybe keep up with him, otherwise take a more moderate approach.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:04 AM
Typical Buck

Good replies guys. I especially like Kodiaks response about the choice of rifles. 30-06 minimum with a 270 only used with handloads. I don't like the 270 because its heaviest factory load is 150 grs. But with handloads you can get more. Thats an "elk hunter" who just flat out knows his stuff.

My tip is scouting. I know you can't scout elk in most public land western states because they move too much. How many times have you watched that nice bull feed in a meadow all summer just to see a canvas tent pitched right in the middle of it come opening morning? He'll be in the next county by day break. Happened to me more times than I'd like to remember. You can't scout elk like deer they just don't pattern so when scouting elk, I scout the area more than the animals because they move too much. So figure out what areas they are most likely to go when they get pressured or food and water gets scarce. Figure out where they will hide and how they will most likely leave that area. Know at what elevation they will be at whatever time of year you are hunting. Know thier herding and breeding habits. Seems to me thats the secret to annual success.

To do that you need to know everything about elk. Read everything you can on them. Go to the library and get books, rent videos and spend hours in the field learning thier habits. Find out exactly what plants they eat and in what quantities they need it. You need to learn to think like an elk to outsmart em.

Along with that work your tail off and get in shape.

Quick Reply: What tips would you like to share about elk hunting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.