Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Info.

Old 12-23-2003, 12:25 PM

Default RE: Elk Hunting Info.

Jason,

Sounds like a nice tradition might form up amongst your group that could carry forward in time. That would be cool or even if it is a "one time" affair, then the memories would be neat. There are barriers in the way of your hoped for elk hunting success; however, they can be overcome or balanced or reduced.

I cannot take you hunting nor will I tell you right where to go, but I am willing (along with others here) to start you down the path so you could position yourself so as to be able to "give it a reasonable go" so to speak.

1. Is this an elk only hunt? I assume so, since it sounds like you've had your fill of "mere deer" back home. It works better when you focus. Would you consider taking cow elk as being sufficient or is this a trophies or nothing hunt?

2. How many consecutive days of school can ALL of you miss next year to pursue an elk hunt? How many very road worthy 4x4's do you have access to? You don't want car troubles when trying to pull off an away from home/remote elk hunt.

3. What is your target $$/per man that you want to keep all this under?

Perhaps the ensuing discussion can help others as well,

EKM
Old 12-23-2003, 12:41 PM

I agree that alcohol in camp is just not the best idea. You never know who is going to have too much and then still will try to get out while under the influencee...
Old 12-24-2003, 07:04 PM

EKM, first off thanks for all your help. I in no way am looking for people to tell me where to hunt and exactly how to go about it. For I know on my land I never tell where I got my bucks or people would be out there poaching knowing there are other big bucks. People that get these monsters and then are thrilled when the papers want to do and article on them spill there beans on where and how they got the big one. Now everyone in the state is tramping around that area, not real smart. But anyway to answer your questions.

1) I was originally thinking of elk hunting only, but if the possibility would arise to take a Mulie, I sure wouldn't mind. And for taking a cow/bull, I wouldn't mind either way. HOW IS THE MEAT IN ELK, AND IS IT DIFFERENT FROM COW TO BULL like in whitetail?

2) I was figuring a week. Say leave on Friday and get back Sunday. We all are farm boys that wouldn't own anything else than 4x4 vehicles. Plus we all have ATVs if need be. Also ride horses if we hook up with someone that is using that as mode of transportation.

3) Target to keep under?? You guys might laugh but I was figuring around $1,000 if we could possibly swap a whitetail hunt for a elk hunt. Say hook on with somebody that would let us tag along in place of a private land Trophy whitetail hunt.

4) Also, I never said whether it was rifle or bow. I would love to get 25 yds. from a elk and get one with a bow, the thrill of calling animals in is one of the most unbelievable parts to hunting. But I expect most of the other guys would want to rifle hunt.

5) It might just be me and a buddy but it could be 3-4 of us. All depends on what I can get worked out. I take wildlife photos as a hobby so that would be as much a part of the hunt as anything.

MERRY CHRISTMAS-
J-LEW
Old 12-24-2003, 07:05 PM

What dates is the most productive for elk?

Old 12-24-2003, 07:33 PM

Please allow me to offer some practical advice that has worked for me (and continues to work). Several years ago I made the decision to elk hunt in CO. I did the "Net" thing and failed to get anything I felt good with, so I called the CO DOW. They sent me a free booklet containing every area, elk numbers, kill stats, etc. I looked at the kill stats VS # of hunters, and the success ratios. Then I chose 2 areas (or GMUs) to hunt. Then I called the biologist for each area and talked at length with them. They were both very helpful and wanted to answer every question I had. I then selected a GMU, and got topo maps for that area. After I recd the maps, I called the biologist back and we talked specifics. I told the biologist when I arrived in CO I was going to take he and his wife out for dinner as a way of saying thanks. I went several days early to scout, etc. When I arrived, I was invited to the biologists HOME, where we looked at the maps, and he showed me EXACTLY where to hunt. Killed an elk opening day with a bow. He wouldn't accept me taking him out to dinner, so I gave him a fine knife the next year when I returned. Look at the CO DOW site. They have almost everything you need to plan a good DIY hunt. I am going back again in 04, and for as long as I can hike the mtns. Just do your homework, and you will have a great time.
Good Hunting,
Hal
Old 12-25-2003, 12:55 AM

Bro' Hal has been busy on both this thread and another giving you a lot of the starting points, especially talking to the local CDOW/Chamber of Commerce Laisons.

Be careful of analysis paralysis on the statistical information. A GMU is a HUGE piece of land. It is possible to go the the "best" GMU and hunt in a "bad" spot, and vise versa. If the GMU was broken down by township or section, then you'd have something, as is it is almost too big to tell the whole tale. Make sure that a "good performing" GMU has lots of public land in it as you won't be hunting on private land and still make your budget.

A GMU where the terrain is gentle (for your lungs), has lots of public land in it (a place for you), has lots of unsold left over permits (over-populated with elk) and there is a cooperative CDOW or Chamber of Commerce Laison person to give you a guiding hand (necessary intelligence) is a good start.

There's your homework, feel free to "bump" us for more info.

EKM