Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

WORST hunting stories, almighty "hunters" bragging about their accomplishments

Old 12-20-2003, 12:39 AM

Default WORST hunting stories, almighty "hunters" bragging about their accomplishments

I couldn't recall how many times I've met almighty hunters who brag of unbelievable feats. They are those guys at the local bar who have shot the new world record Elk or deer and just don't want to enter it. Whats the most unbelievable stories you've heard from great "hunters."

I worked in an archery pro shop and attend a lot of hunting related functions although I'm only 17. Maybe adults just think I won't question their stories, but I know enough about hunting to realize when they're blowing smoke up my a$$

Here's a few examples:

I had a guy come in one day browsing over a bunch of guns and telling me about his arsenol of over 200 rifles, 300 pistols, and a bunch of other bs. He proceeded to tell me about all the animals he has killed and how he gave up hunting because it wasn't a challenge. He said the last time he went hunting he shot an antelope buck from 2 miles away with his 30-06. He hit right where he was aiming, between the eyes. I of course didn't call him on his lies, I just nodded my head and acted impressed by his accomplishments.

Another person told me about a story I hope is false. I never caught his name or learned anything else about him, or else I would have tried to get a game warden after him. He was at an archery shoot and had drank a few beers. I was sitting around a fire talking and we started a conversation about our past hunting season. I told him about my few successes and many failures and he told me about his many successess. I guess he went out opening day and bugled in an 8x8 bull elk that he shot at 70 yards in the heart. On his way out to get his buddy's he ran into a bachelor herd of 5 bulls. He shot four of the bulls, and only 2 died...which he cut the horns off of because "nobody really does it for the meat." I was so disgusted by this I left while he was describing the spoiled meat from his other elk.

I could go on and on...what's some of your worst stories you've heard?
Old 12-20-2003, 05:29 AM

Default RE: WORST hunting stories, almighty "hunters" bragging about their accomplishments

Hi montana_hunter_16,

I know what you are talking about[:@]. And I couldn't agree more!

I do my best to "suffer fools" patiently, politely, and quietly....and hope they just "go away quickly"! But once in a while.....I do get started.

I guess I'm just getting "soft" in my old age!

Good luck with your endeavors.

Dave

P.S. I agree with you on something else as well. If you have knowledge of game law violations...do what you can to report them! Good luck again.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:40 PM

Default RE: WORST hunting stories, almighty "hunters" bragging about their accomplishments

I've had a guy I work with tell me he went to shoot a deer but was out of bullets. No Problem. He then proceeded to jump about 25 feet onto this obviously blind and deaf deer and slit its throat. (It died right then and there). There is also a guy I hunt with that will come dragging in a 60 or 70 pound doe and say the next day that he saw a decent 8 pointer and let it walk. Like you said, just act impressed is about all you can do.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:32 PM

I was with my dad hunting with this guy and well my dad doesn't drink but this guy had just 1 too many beers when he started to brag about his alaskan grizzly hunt. It went a little like this:
He had emptied all his rounds (30-06) into 1 bear that just plain disappeared when all of the sudden a huge 1200lbs+ grizz busts out of the brush so all he had left to use on it was his bear sprayed. he then proceded to say that he emptied his spray into the bears mouth (his head was stuck in there you know) when it died from too much mace.
He later proved his ineptitude as a rifle man when he missed 4 times from 20 yards away a at a spike.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:31 PM

I heard this just this fall at an archery shoot .. and no longer will shoot with this loser even though we have shot together in the past.

He drove up to NH and pulled off the highway in his car, grabbed his climber and bow and headed into the woods. About 200 yards in he saw a pretty good deer run and set up just down wind of it. He wasn't in the tree 20 minutes he said and 2 does came walking down the trail right at him, 1 of the does stopped broadside and he let an arrow fly. He said the doe bolted off and it didn't appear like he hit it. He could see his arrow in the dirt and he could see his fletchings. He thought he missed low. So he sat in the tree and waited before getting down and about 45 minutes later a spike came down the same trail. It stopped broadside in almost the same spot and he launched another arrow. He "thought" he hit this one. He waited 30 minutes then climbed down. He followed the spikes blood trail and found the deer ... he gutted and tagged it then headed back to go get his climber which he was going to put in the car first before dragging the deer out. He went over to collect his arrows and noticed there was blood all over the first as well as the second. He found the doe about 80 yards away. Now it is completely illegal to shoot 2 deer while in the woods .. so he grabs his cell phone and calls his buddy to meet him and he'll tag it for him. When he goes to drop his stand off at his car there is a trooper there waiting for him.. asking him what the problem was and why he's pulled off a highway (which is illegal). The guy responds deer hunting, and mentions he's got one. The cop tells him to get his deer and head out and not to park here anymore, or he'll get a ticket. So the guy grabs his spike .. calls his buddy and says forget it and lets the doe rot in the woods.

and then proceeds to tell everyone the story .. like it's no big deal at all.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:38 PM

MA Jay- that is just plain awful! Oh that guy deserves to be shot and have him be left out to rot[:@]!