Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Why don't hunters like to conserve?

Old 12-14-2003, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why don't hunters like to conserve?

You are exactly right about the urban sprawl and don't forget our so-called modern farming techniques as well. Yes, a century ago many species of wildlife were nearly gone from many areas and it was through the efforts of hunters and other conservationists that brought the herds and flocks back to the levels they enjoy today. I believe that most of the hunting that was blamed for the demise of the wildlife at that time was market hunting, (although there were many "Sport" hunters as well) there was a huge demand for wildlife to feed the throngs of people in the cities that had no access to hunting areas. There were no bag limits and no regulations concerning the methods of harvest. Punt guns were used to kill hundreds of ducks and geese with one shot. Nets and traps were also used to take as many birds and animals as possible at one time. Farming techniques had depleted the land to a point where many areas were "Farmed out" the land unable to produce anything due to all of the nutrients having been used up by years of growing the same crop without replenishing the soil and soil erosion caused by plowing up and down hills and other poor land management practices. One of the greatest boons to wildlife in the past century was probably the great depression, farms were abandoned and allowed to lie fallow for years, natural grasses, brush and eventually trees replaced what had been farms and the process provided food and cover for species that were on the brink of disappearing. Today we are repeating that same trend but with houses and subdivisions, you only get one crop of houses on a property, and the wildlife suffer the most. We as hunters have little or no say in the whole thing since we no longer have any significant voice in many areas, we struggle along year to year trying to maintain that which we have and gaining very little.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

I'm afraid you are right. I don't see anybody stemming the tide of so-called "progress". When profits and jobs are used as the ultimate justifier, rural lands will be dozed away. I think maybe hunters don't like to talk about it much cause its so hopeless. They see their fields and woods evaporating each season, and all they can do is adjust their habits. I was so depressed at the traffic in my unit this year, that I nearly decided to sell my guns and give up wild meat. And I was 20 miles into a wilderness along the divide. Maybe these sites are best used as sanctuaries from the reality of whats goin' on, instead we can bask in what used to be, kid ourselves into thinkin' all's fine an' dandy with the world. Jus' my thorts.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

So beside giveing away yer guns & walking away from hunting, do you have any good realistic ideas jack?Not just point the judgeing finger at other hunters i mean. Dont live in the past/ deal with the future.

Coastie is right its a onging lucky to hang on to what we have at times. We the hunters, gunowners etc ,without us - things would be long gone aleady .Game ,land&libertys.

Are Ya sure youin dont want to becaome a new metromale?
Old 12-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree about the urban sprawl as well. Many of us do just try to hold on to what we have left. I also bask in memories of the past. This just leaves me with one question for you BJ. What can we as the average hunter do better? If someone has the anwers I would sure listen.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

Walk the walk. Real hard when grandad dies an' leaves us 150 acres of cornfield and woods jus' cryin' to be turned into townhome estates. Mos' ol' timers hold onto their property and leave it to their chilrin. The kids got urban lifes an' don't wanna be bothered, so they sell off to speculators an' real estate bloodsuckers. If I knew who my daddy was, an' he left me some land, I'd keep it intact even after I'm takin' the long dirt nap.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good thought. My wife and I bought a small piece of land from her dad when he sold his ranch. This is rural land so far out in the sticks that it would never be a candidate for urban spread but when we leave it to our kids It will be kept as is or donated to the Game Fish and Parks for food plots. Its out in west central South Dakota. My Daughter would like to retire there and rasie a few horses. Her and my wife are Horse nuts. Great Mule deer hunting there as well as grouse and a few pheasants.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

James,
Don't count on it being forever wild. I thought the same about my place in W. WY onct. Does yer daughter need some good mountain horses? I'm fixin' to sell my stock, buy a Subaru an' a couple canoes an' retire as a long haired paddle freak. Canoes don't eat as much, an' there's still one or two wild rivers in this country I ain't seed. Alaska's got a couple too, I hear.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

She has several years to go before she can move out to the country. Good luck seeing those rivers.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a big difference between conservationist, which I think the vast majority of hunters and sportsman are, and "environmentalists". At least as most of the later now have taken such extremist views on most every issue regarding public access and use of public lands, forests, hunting, fishing, etc.

This is somewhat generalizing I realize, but most "environmentalists", at least the vocal ones, want to shutdown much or all the public use of natural resources and turn the country and world into some sort of utopia that people aren't a part of. I say to those kind of "environmental" wackos the same as General McAuliffe said to the Germans at Bastogne... "NUTS"!!!

Hunters and fishmen (that includes women) do more for conserving the natural resource, game and non-game habitat and animals of this country than all the "E" orgs combined.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bingo!!!

Quick Reply: Why don't hunters like to conserve?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.