Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Nosler Partition versus CT Fail Safe (for elk)

Old 11-30-2003, 02:11 PM

Default Nosler Partition versus CT Fail Safe (for elk)

Which bullet will get the most penetration on elk? Also which one is better for hard quartering away shots (such as Elmer Keith used to write about).

Any first hand knowledge or opinions is appreciated.

The caliber I am useing is the 7mm STW.

Thanks, NBH

Old 11-30-2003, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Nosler Partition versus CT Fail Safe (for elk)

The failsafe will penetrate better but the partition does a good job and is more accurate in my rifles.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:43 PM

First of all,what do you mean by CT failsafe?? The only failsafe I' ve heard of is the Win. Failsafe, I' ve used these and would put them in the top 10% as far as performance goes. As for the Nosler, it' s reputation speaks for itself.You can' t go wrong with either, just find out which gives you the better grouping.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:00 PM

Plainsman,

The CT means Combined Technologys. It is a Nosler/Winchester combined company. It is probably the same bullet you mentioned. I think the CT failsafe is molly coated though.

I know the reputation of the Partition, I have used them on lesser animals. I haven' t used the failsafes yet.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

The combined technology failsafe is manufactured by nosler for winchester.They are listed on the nosler website.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

The failsafe will have better penetration than the nosler and it will retain more weight than the nosler too. Go to the reloading page and look at the thread titled " the best hunting bullet" it' s everything that you need to know.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Win. Failsafe will give you more penetration. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

The fail safe and the Partition Gold Both made by nosler are a couple of the toughest bullets going. In the same class is the Swift A frame and a few other Bonded bullets. The Heavy for caliber Partitions will sure do the job on elk as will the Remington Ultra corlokt.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you use partitions or failsafes you don' t need to use heavy for caliber bullets.I have used the 140gr partitions and a friend uses the 140gr failsafes and both penetrate as well or better than many heavier bullets.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used the Winchester Supreme cartridge with the 180 gr. "fail safe" slug in last week's Elk hunt in Wyoming.

From using it from the bench beforehand, I found these loads shot constistently 1" groupings at 100+ yds from my Tikka T3 .300 WM.

From the experience using it on an Elk it seemed to stagger the adult cow I shot at 100 yds the first round just behind the shoulder, so she wasn't going anywhere. The second round through the chest put her down quickly.

That's my experience.

Quick Reply: Nosler Partition versus CT Fail Safe (for elk)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.