Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What weather scares you while hunting?

Old 12-16-2003, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What weather scares you while hunting?

Lightning. MOre than once I have been in the tree and have a thounder storm pop up and have to move fast to get back to the truck.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

High winds scare the ever living bejezus out of me. If the winds are predicted to be over 20 knots you wont find me hunting. There are just too many dead limbs on trees that have a tendency to fall during these times to allow me to feel comfortable, there is no warning that you can see or hear.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

Windy weather is poor for hunting. Wet is damn uncomfortable. But Lightning is what scares me. I hunt real high, and there's people die ever year, mostly hippie rock climbers, from lightning strikes.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't know if I am scared of any weather but I will say I respect it all and have been in some situations where I knew I shouldn't be in, once I was in a stand bow hunting during a rain/lightning storm, lightning stricking all around me and using a metal stand and aluminum arrows, not good, so I got down in a torental rainstorm and huddled under a small tree that had a canopy and as I was huddled under this tree with me freezing my butt, a tree snapped and fell crashing 8 ft from me. I really don't know if they would of ever found me.
I have been in some of these burns some of these boys are talking about and seen them trees whipping around and snapping off, not a good place to be when the winds pick up.
Two and a half weeks ago I rolled the toyota coming out of the bush as I was coming around a switchback with icey conditions, rolled on to the top and slid a couple hundred feet down the slope as I knocked out trees on the way and was fortunate enough to be stopped by one tree or it would of been worse, but the scarey part was being straped in upside down and everything is opposite and reversed and I picked up two 5 gallons cans of gas at the gas station earlier and I could hear these cans gurgglering every few seconds, after I got my composure I climbed out the side window having my hands sliced on glass as I was tring to feel my way around and went into the back of the truck in which it had a topper on it and it had gas in it that had pooled, so I grabbed the cans and brought them out and away from the truck in case it was to blow. I am 6 miles up the mountain and grab my pack and started hiking down, I reeked in gas fumes as the temperarture was in the teens, as at times I wanted to stop and sleep on my way down, but I was so close too. At one moment I thought I was going to burn up in flames and the next hour I thought I was going to freeze to death. But I must say that I respect it all, I would not call it being scared, but more so, respect. Bobby
Old 12-18-2003, 12:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Snow mixed with lighting. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:44 AM

Weather doesn't really scare me but I do have some definate dislikes for certain conditions. Having had cold weather and jungle/tropical survival training in the military, cold or even heavy rain don't really bother me too much. I know that with a little common sense and a little knowledge and I'll be ok. Combine the two and I am definately headed to the truck. Heavy snow will send me packing too.

Lightning doesn't really scare me since the chances of getting struck are sooo thin. Only when it gets REAL close will I head for cover.

The one thing that does cause me more apprehention than anything else is any condition that severely restricts visibility like heavy fog or blizzard conditions. Anytime you can't see your risk of getting turned around and/or lost go up significantly.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: noway

Hunting in a timber area that was recently burned.
When the wind comes up quickly large chunks of burned bark start to fly off the trees and trees start toppling all around you.
The more recently the area burned the worse it is.
I just had to reply to this! I was in such an area when I was 15 years old, when suddenly a FREAK storm hit. There were 7 of us and we were swimming, not hunting, but we were almost a mile from the vehicle. First came lightning, then strong winds, then rain like I had never seen before and haven't seen since. We all began running to get out of there...then came HAIL! The biggest and most brutal hailstones I have ever seen.....as big as softballs! We had no cover from trees, since the area had burned the year before.....and on top of that, the trees left stadning were falling down all around us. Two people of the party actually got hit by trees, and most of us got hit by branches. Our heads were lumpy and bruised from the hail. It was an experience I will never forget!
Old 12-23-2003, 12:58 PM

The worst would be a hail/lightning storm which are common here on the mountain tops in the Uintas of Utah. You are getting pelted by golf balls and then you get fried to a crisp. Closest I've been was the hail had just started when we were running back to the truck(fishing not hunting[:'(]) When 10 feet away an old tree was shattered by lightning.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

Tornado - without a doubt. Got caught in one while duck hunting a few years back. Just made it to land in time.