Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What was your first big game rifle?

Old 11-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Spike

Default RE: What was your first big game rifle?

Mine was a marlin 30-30 lever action,

I was hunting with my step dad when I was about 14 or so in Georgia. It was around thanksgiving and colder than normal for that time of the year. I didn' t have any good boots so I kept feeling like my toes were going to freeze off.

I was hunting out of a treestand set at the edge of some pines that overlooked a large field with grass growing almost waist high in it. Soon after daylight, I spotted a buck moving from the pines into the field about 50 yards away. When he got about 10 yards into the field he stopped broadside and gave me a good shot opportunity. He dropped in his tracks with a 150 grain winchester bullet through both shoulders.

That was a day I' ll never forget! Neither will my step dad, I still don' t know which one of us was happier.

Oh, and the buck was a 5 pointer that weighed about 150 pounds or so. Not a huge deer, but he sure was awsome to me!
Old 11-26-2003, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Open sighted Lee Enfield .303 British.
It worked fine.
Next rifle was a BSA Safari .308 Winchester.
Have used most calibres since.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

The first big game I ever shot was a bull moose with a borrowed .300 savage in a model 99 with a williams peep sight. The bull was laying down at about 80 yards when I first saw him and I dropped to one knee with out thinking of doing it. I held on his chest and fired. Then levered in a fresh cartridge with out thinking about it. The bull got up and as he stood there he started to sway and shake. I put another round in him and he went down. Both shots entered his chest about 4 inches apart. I found both mushroomed 180 grain bullets under the hide on the far side. My high school buddy and hunting partner and I carried the quarters about 3 or 9 miles out on our backs. I don' t remember what age I was at the time but it was then that I became a man.

Robin
Old 12-08-2003, 09:52 PM

Remington 700 BDL in 6mm Rem. I was 14, it was the first day of the season and it was COOOLLLLDDD. He was a basket racked 8 pt at about 100 yds.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:00 PM

when i was 12 i had a model 99 lever action .308. Was a real nice gun for me nice and short and light for a young fella. took several deer and moose with that rifle till my brother wanted it back when i got older.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:04 AM

Winchester 30-30
Old 12-09-2003, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Marlin Model 336 30-30 Win. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:00 AM

The first Deer I ever took ummm, seems like it was just last week...... wait it was. The 1st day of Rifle season I went out about 6am 1 hr before sunrise. I sat down in front of a tree at the bottom of a creekbed the wind is blowing at my back which I know is a no-no but I liked the spot and I was somewhat out of the wind. About 7:40 I see a buck walking along the creekbed towards me on the other side of the water.He stoped about 30 to 40 yards out to chomp on some some corn as I pushed the saftey off of my winchester lever action 30-30 it makes a clicking sound which brings the bucks eyes upon me but 3 seconds later he goes back to eating. As I put this 8 point beast in my sights my thoughts are to remain calm. My shot was true he ran about 50 yards and I found him in the creek, the bullet went right trough him. I have a hard time describing what I felt inside but my hunt was a beautiful moment in my life and I will never forget it.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first rifle was a 7.7MM Japanese Arisaka, short stock, full military wood, bolt stuck out like a sore thumb, kick like a mule, couldn't find ammo for it except a partial box of Norma 185 Gr. soft points. The whole thing cost me $15.00
Killed my first Deer with my Dads old Savage bolt action 12 Ga.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:42 PM

My first rifle was a 30-30 bolt action Remington. What a sweet little rifle that was....if I only still had it :-( The very first day that I ever stepped in the woods with a deer tag, rifle and following my Dad, I shot a nice little four point whitetail at about 7:30 AM. Dad sat on another stand a few hundred yards away and came over and I'll NEVER forget that moment. That was 33 years ago this past season. To this day, I still hunt the very same area, and on occasion down the same fire lane we walked in that morning. Up near the shores of Lake Superior....God's country....with alot of snow!!!!

Quick Reply: What was your first big game rifle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.