Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming is a great place to hunt!

Old 12-14-2003, 01:08 PM

Default RE: Wyoming is a great place to hunt!

Wyoming is the best place in the world for antelope! My first day i had a 2 doe tag I shot my first doe 15 minutes into the hunt, was hunting again 30 minutes later and shot another by 8:15. saw around 700 antelope including a dandy 16"-17" that offered a wonderful broadside, but alas, I only had a doe tag!
Old 12-15-2003, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

jjt - The thing is, WY, like many other states in the West are mainly raising the already high non-resident Elk and other licenses, while leaving the resident license almost untouched. To me hitting a non-resident over 10 times what a resident pays for a regular Elk license is over the top. Your state's res hunters pay for an Elk license only about what we pay as residents here of an all zone deer license.

Then we get the comments from some of the locals like we're not even supposed to fill our tags.

I think res hunters need to take a hard look at what their willing to pay for wildlife management to keep the wildlife population strong, too. Non-residents to your state have been paying more than their share for some time.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:49 AM
jjt

minnfinn

be it right or wrong

we live here and spend a ton of money in this state all year (sporting goods ammo etc)
we also purchase many licenses(3 antelope,2 deer,2 elk, 1 fishing,1 bear, 1 con stamp, 1 elk stamp,1 small game, 1 game bird, 1 pref point for moose, 1pref point for bighorn, and 1 cougar.)
these are the licenses i purchased this year and typically every year

as a non res you show up for a couple of weeks and spend around $1000 that dont sound like much if you average it over a hole year

and if you look at the statistics on wy game & fish page you will see nonres do very well in all categories.

Then we get the comments from some of the locals like we're not even supposed to fill our tags
I would never say something like this and would think a person making a comment like this to be an ignorant jack@$$
Old 12-16-2003, 12:25 PM
car
Typical Buck

I think I got something started! I can see both sides of this. If I was a res and had non res invading my hunting grounds I would like the high price for non res, hoping to kept it to a minimal amount of hunters. I guess what upset me the most is that I was very successful hunting in Wy and was looking forward to many more trips to Wy to hunt and the price of the tags is going up! There is alot of game and I think that the game+fish are doing something right. I just did not want to have to pay more to hunt in Wy.
car
Old 12-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Almost all states gouge the non Resident. It isn't right we are all resident of this country we all share the tax burden we all pay into the national tax that benifits wildlife. However as long as we will pay thier price , it is not apt to go down any time soon. Hunting is becomming a game for the rich. Or the average guy who is willing to make hunting his top priority. It makes it hard for the younger guy raising a family to go out of state to hunt.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then we get the comments from some of the locals like we're not even supposed to fill our tags.
If your here& you paid for it , why shouldnt you fill your tag?

One factor overlooked with funding the game& fish here - we have very few ppl living here - & all dont buy licences , those under 16, old pionners etc.

We probly have 4X as many ppl coming here to hunt , then there are hunters in this state.

If no one came here to hunt or no game& fish dept , would out herds survive& be heathy , sure they would. Nature would takes its course & correct things.

I presume yall live where you live for a reason , me to -the low numer of persons living here & the plenty of game etc.