Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The best way to haul hunting gear?

Old 12-17-2019, 04:46 PM
Spike

Default The best way to haul hunting gear?

Any ideas on the best way to haul elk hunting gear? Need to be able to bring supplies don’t know if I should fill up the cab and have no space or haul it in the box? What are the best Options have been searching for a solution
Old 12-17-2019, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

sky's the limit here IMO
a cap on a pickup truck and good HD plastic toes that seal tight are what I used for most things, helps keep them from absorbing a lot of scents too and GOOD ones' will keep things dry as well
guns and higher valued items ride in cab with me in good locked cases!

NOW< if looking for ways to lock things up when OUT Hunting and using a truck as a base camp, again, GOOD locks and cases are what I have used , TAKE Pictures of things in there , for insurance reasons if stolen(receipts too)
also a good idea to talk to your insurance agent and ask about how to protect things too and what coverage you have or can add!
good gear adds up FAST in $$$$

I have also had very good luck with Cabela's PVC dry bags, waterproof, and scent free, but do get stiff in COLD weather
Old 12-17-2019, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

The best way I've found is a box trailer, with locks on the doors. Everything stays dry, it's locked up, you can even use it for lodging if the weather turns or you're caught in a pinch.

A truck with a good cap on it is good as well. Especially if you don't need as much room as a trailer offers.

You have to be able to get your stuff to wherever you're going. So that's a factor.

-Jake
Old 12-19-2019, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I did a box trailer once on a caribou hunt to Newfoundland. There were 4 of us going and we decided that my capped pickup wouldn't be big enough for all the gear and 4 coolers of caribou. Lots of extra headaches and issues with a long distance trailer haul. It worked out OK but careful planning and proper packing would have probably served us better. We rented the trailer and had them repack all the bearings but towing a vehicle through heavy traffic and toll booths/ bridges can be more difficult. One option would be to use the coolers as totes for gear on the way out and ship clothes and cheaper gear on the return trip if the space was needed. I have driven long distance to somewhere over 20 long distance hunts and always did so using either my truck or one of the other guys. We all have lockable caps and it has always worked out.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:58 AM
Spike

Default This was an idea I have been looking into do to the affordability

I would like to be able to lock my Equipment in the pickup box was thinking about getting a top for the truck bed. but would only use the top for the hunt. I was looking into some lock boxes if I found the right ones I was going to bolt them into the bed of The box and put my valued items in them. Trying to find a Truck bed cover that comes off easy for when i am not using it. then I found something that was almost identical to what I was looking for looks like something that would work for covering don’t know how well it will travel down the road. Does anyone have any ideas for a quick adaptable setup?

Old 12-20-2019, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

A fiberglass truck cap is nice and keeps everything secure and dry. The negative is it is heavy and generally not easily removed . I live in snow country and do a lot of hunting and fishing so I always have a fiberglass cap on my truck all year long to keep snow out of the bed in winter and to store and safeguard my equipment at all times. Nice because the additional height allows me to haul more gear or other items which need to be hauled in the back of a truck. Another option and one that is more easily either taken off or rolled/ pulled back is a tunneau cover. Some are lockable and can be easily pulled back towards the cab opening the whole truck back to allow for transport of tall items like a refrigerator or high furniture.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:42 PM
Spike

Default the original plan

First I was thinking about using Rubbermaid totes for everything, cheap enough idea. Then I realize how often I hear about how people get ripped off. So I started looking for best ways to haul hunting gear found out about lock boxes seemed like the best way to keep thieves away. And like the idea of having them bolt to the box all I need is to keep them out of the weather I bring other items that are above the bed so a fiber glass topper was what I was going to do. But taking that off every summer would be a process. What about canvas tops ?
Old 12-20-2019, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fill coolers with gear on the way out. Bring soft duffle bags as they can be shaped to fit into corners and packed into areas that a hard box or case won’t fit. A cap that is lockable is the way to go. Not that hard to remove with a few friends.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

if your on a budget, another option as to BUYING a cap or trailer, is renting one!
in my early yrs I used to rent a small enclosed trailer from U haul to haul a few dozen of decoys and other hunting gear on trips out west, USED to be really cheap too like 7 bucks a day only,
but I am sure rates went up LOL

but its a option many don't think about maybe?

trailers do make life easier at times, but also keep in mind you will get less MPG's and have more toll fee's and can be tricky to back up seem times or a pain to just haul every where all the time

if your staying some place SAFE to do so, you can always un hitch and lock/chain to something

some of the farms I used to hunt, owners I knew and trusted, would let me park mine many times in there barns or just on lands, so not hauling all over all the time and felt better about things not getting stolen!

and trust me, THINGS can get stolen
from whole truck and TRAILER at times,
got crazy up in Canada for yrs, with snowmobiling there and ton's sf folks having whole rigs and trailers stolen
its so bad in some parts of Canada< they BRAG about secure parking lots as sales pitches to TRY and get you to stay there(many still get robbed in these so called SAFE places)

name of game is, honestly, if they want it bad enough they will get it!
out of state tags, often get more attention to crooks, as they know your not coming back or hope so!
GOOD insurance is what I make sure I have on any trip and on as many things as possible too !