Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear hunting

Old 09-27-2018, 06:43 PM
Spike

Default Bear hunting

Will a bear come to stand before dark, using scent only?
Old 09-27-2018, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe. If scent is legal, isn't bait? If you got some objective to bait, isn't scent the same?

bear will find bait based on scent.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

As with a bait, if legal for you, honeyburn bacon burn, anise, fryer oil.

My concern about doing burns and then hunting, may already be watching. If you leave it burn while in stand, could start fire.

mid day dump your bait/scent. Leave come back. Bears will also come in morning. Actually all day. But like deer more likely dawn and dusk, and after hours,
Old 09-27-2018, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

I have started baits that took while to get hit. Started one hit in 2 days first 2 days 80s.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes it can, as a bear follows its nose to find food, so if something smells good and the area the smell is coming from the bear deems to be safe to go to in day time, sure WHY not
bears eat pretty much any time there not sleeping or running!, whole lives revolve around eating and finding more food
well all but maybe for mating season when there looking for something else! and food is lower on the list!
Old 09-27-2018, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

Why not bait as you put scents out same difference.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:14 PM
Spike

Default Scent

I wouldn’t think that scent would be considered bait, I will have to call a game warden the book i don’t think is clear on this. Looks like it’s talking about feed, salt, grains

Last edited by Bearbow45; 09-27-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:24 PM
Spike

If scent is illegal what about bear in heat, gland lure, would that work the mating season is in the spring, would it work in the fall.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bearbow45
Will a bear come to stand before dark, using scent only?
Every bear I've ever seen come to a stand used their feet. I never knew they could walk on their nose! You learn something new every day!
Old 09-28-2018, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Every bear I've ever seen come to a stand used their feet. I never knew they could walk on their nose! You learn something new every day!
HAHAHA

NOW as for would beat in heat scent work come Fall,
as MY guess is most likely NO
there in food mode with winter closing in and all, there not that interested in love, but never know, all the more so if your way down south, where seasons might drag on longer, I have seen bear mate here in PA as late as end of August, but come Oct, I get males and females at same time pretty often and they could care less about each other, just want to eat!
I've had 15 different bears here this yr, , I average 20, so a little off for the yr so far, but crops didn;t get harvested yet, so once they do, I get more here do to I have food yet(plots and fruit tree's))
I personally think your WAY better hunting food source's over using JUST a scent of anyuthing, when baiting is NOT allowed or desired way to hunt bears, it will be your highest odd's
go to some farms and ask the farmers if they have bear damage, if they do, odds are WAY higher they will let you hunt, as a bear can cost them a lot of money in crop damage, a couple bears in a small area can be very hard on a farmer, thius increasing your odds of access to hunt them!
this time of yr, CORN is the main draw for bears!, easy to eat till there full can even eat laying down for hours, all you can eat like deal for them , with cover too boot!, finding where there eating is easy too, they will level corn and eat it laying down and look like a section was rolled over on! and they can do a 1/4 acre or so in a short period of time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.