Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wanting to complete my rifle battery have ?

Old 11-01-2003, 11:29 PM

Default Wanting to complete my rifle battery have ?

O.K. I have thinned out some of my unused/unwanted guns on gunbroker. I have some more to go, but have narrowed down to the " keepers" .

varmint/target:
.22-250

brush:
.358 Win

deer/antelope (small big game)

I want to add two more rifles one for long range (around 350-400 yds max with more energy than the .270 win) small big game such as deer,antelope,etc. I was thinking of these:7mm STW, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag. The other would be for (god willing in 2005) Elk (hopefully in NW Montana). These are the choices: .338 Win Mag, .375 H&H.

I have had range time with a .300 win, 7mm rem, .338 win and the .375 H&H. I am not particulary recoil shy. Have shot up to .458 win.

Thanks in advance for any advice or wisdom. NBH[8D]

Old 11-02-2003, 12:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wanting to complete my rifle battery have ?

I have made this statement before, and I know there are lots of people here that will disagree with me. I personally dont care for the 7mm at all I would definately choose the 300 for the simple fact that there is a wider variety of bullet weights for that calibre. Also the 300 shooting heavy bullets would be a great backup gun for the elk hunt.

As far as the other rifle I love my 338 to me it is the most versitile rifle that i own. I have done some light loads with cast bullets and taken deer yet with the capabilities of shooting heavy enough bullets for any north american game.

Granted I will state here that I am no expert and bullet placement has everything to do with killing game animals, but for some reason I have seen more wounded elk with a 7mm than any other cartridge. This is just personal experience and probably has my view skewed twards the 300.

good luck and good hunting
Old 11-02-2003, 07:31 AM

NBH,

I think you about got it figured out all by yourself....

7mmSTW and a 338WinMag.

You mentioned the latter category would be for elk hunting. The 375HH is fine and a classic cartridge and fun to own, just one downside.... they tend to be kind of heavy, and weight is not your friend in elk country.

Otherwise enjoy the re-organizing of your rack. I' ve been doing the same thing, getting rid of the stuff I don' t care for on Gunbroker.com (its someone else' s treasure) and buying stuff I do care for.

Never Go Undergunned, Always Check The Sight In, Perform At Show Time,
EKM
Old 11-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

No reason to use a 300 on deer/antelope, one of the 7mm' s would do nicely in this slot, I own the 7mm rem mag. I would go with the 338 for elk. Plenty of gun for any shot, without being an overkill.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:40 PM
Typical Buck

I have a .264 Win. Mag. and a .35 whelen to fill the two niches you describe. The .264 isn' t really a whole lot hotter than the .270. The .35 whelen isn' t too far behind the 338 mag.

I like odd cartridges and find I usually fall in love with a particular rifle and then buy it weather or not it is the logical choice.

Robin
Old 11-03-2003, 10:56 PM

Thanks for the input. I just filled the smaller niche with a 7mmSTW that I found on gunbroker.

Winchester M70 LT Sporter

Still have not decided on the larger rifle. EKM brings up a good point about weight, but the rifles I am looking at are the Winchester Super Grade 8lbs for both or the Winchester Safari Grade in .375 H&H it is 8.8LBS. So the weight is pretty close. I think the .375 H&H I have shot in the past were 9lbs. Missing that extra pound or 1/2 lb might make felt recoil a problem.

Keep the ideas coming thanks, NBH.[8D]
Old 11-04-2003, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to throw you a curve ball. Have you thought of the 338 Remington Ultra Mag or 375 Remington Ultra Mag? A friend of mine has both. I am going to shoot them after season and decide on the one to buy.
You might want to look at a 416-???????????? []
Old 11-04-2003, 11:05 PM

Wolf killer

I have thought about the .338 RUM quite a bit. The cost of factory ammo is exspensive IMO at $80.00 a box[][X(]. The future of the .338 RUM is still questionable too. Never given the .375 RUM a thought.

Which .416 you talking about the Rigby or Remington? The .416 Rigby has crossed my mind, but IMO its power surely is not needed for elk or (slim possiblilty) for moose. It would just be a " fun" [][X(] rifle to own.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:13 AM

I was just doing some research on the .338 Win Mag. The ballistics of this cartridge loaded with 210 grain bullets is IMPRESSIVE. I see at least 3 powders that " LIST" 2900+ FPS with this weight bullet. RL19 being a good choice. I think I am leaning in favor of the .338
Old 11-05-2003, 12:18 AM

Just for grins....

A 416 Rigby will launch a 325gr Barnes X at 2,900 fps! [50% more bullet!][][][][X(][>:]

Sorry, 338' s are great and a favorite of mine -- but couldn' t resist muddying the water! BTW, RL19 is good stuff!

Never Go Undergunned, Always Check The Sight In, Perform At Showtime,
EKM

Quick Reply: Wanting to complete my rifle battery have ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.