Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Let' s keep it civil fellers

Old 11-01-2003, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default Let' s keep it civil fellers

No need to act like a pack of wolves smellin' blood. I hate thet as much as anythin' . I took offense to the " hillbilly" references folks were usin' because they didn' t like what thet boy was sayin' . At first, I don' t think he was sayin' anythin' worthy of the kicks he was gettin' . When we came down hard on ' im, he got a lil' outta line tryin' to fight back. The one positive thing here is that I had no idear hunters could be so indignant about a threat to resources posed by poachers. I pretty much thort mos' were consumers of wildlife, but didn' t really care what happend to it. Kinda makes me warm an' fuzzy to know there' s dedicated sportsmen on this site. So let' s jus' let it alone. K-boy probly ain' t a poacher. Maybeso he' ll learn sumthin' ' bout what we all stand to lose if people look the other way. Its happend before. Remember, Kentuck was a wildlife paradise before settlement. Timber bison, woods elk, beaver. Like I said, there weren' t no deer season for many years ' cause there weren' t much in the way of deer even. I' m thinkin' we' ve turned the corner now. I don' t think the message needs to be pounded into anybody here. Talkin' conservation ain' t bad, an' there' s gonna be some strong opinions, I reckin' . Let' s jus' try to keep it fit for wimmins an' chilrin' .

Now let' s talk ' bout people who brag about makin' a tuff shot on game, then tell how it got away anyway. Met a feller at the trailhead with that story. All his buddies got bulls. He said he knows he hit one but it got back up an' ran off. I asked how far he tracked it. Didn' t even try, ' cause it was late. This feller was with a " professional" guide. The guide was maybe 22, an' looked like he' d been in the mountings maybe a month. What really gits my back hair on end is thet the feller was more concerned with how others saw his shootin' abilty than whether they thort he was a ethical sportsman. I ain' t afeared to say it for all the world to see. I ain' t much of a marksman. I do ok, but I ain' t near as good as some who I know. Ain' t even as good a shot as I used to be when I spent lots of time practicin' . But I never wound game, and I allays got a full freezer.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Let' s keep it civil fellers

Hey BJ the topic of poorly hit game always turns my stomach. In 1987 I worked for an outfitter in western Montana, my first hunter was what I thought a really good guy, but it' s amazing how much you can tell about a person once there is a wounded animal involved.

The second day of the archery seacon I bugled in a huge 6x7 for this hunter, the bull came at dang near a full tilt run and stopped at 15 yards to rip a small sapling out of the ground. This hunter came to full draw and gut shot this bull plain as day. As the bull ran off he turned with a big smile and gave me the thumbs up. Well I walked up the hill and found his arrow and just as I thought it was green from broadhead to fletching.

We sat down had a sandwich and told stories for as long as i could keep him there, which was about an hour and a half. I must say the bull was easy tracking little drops of blood and big drops of stomach contents. Any way 2 hours into looking for this bull the guy starts whineing about being tired and I quote " I didn' t pay for this" .

That blew it with me I told him than when he released that arrow this is what he bought. We jumped the bull twice with no shot opportunity and the complaining just got louder. At this point I gave him a direction to head twards the trailhead and the horses, he took off looking for civilazition and me not careing if I saw him ever again or not. (oh and yes i did actually send him in the right direction).

To finish up this story 10 hours after he let that arrow go I walked up on this bull in his bed, the bull stood up and promptly recieved a 44 mag bullet just behind his ear.

2 hours after dark I walked into camp with this bulls head tied to the saddle and 4 quarters hanging in a tree at the top of the ridge. I sat in my tent alone that night listening to this guy telling his great hunting story over and over about the remarkable shot he made on this great bull. In the morning he had the gall to reprimand me about putting a hole in the cape of his elk (a 44 calibre hole).

That was my last year guiding didnt figure I had the intestional fortitude for the job.

Now I hunt with people I choose not ones I' m forced to.

Sorry about the long story

good hunting
Rogue
Old 11-02-2003, 03:28 AM

Rogue, as a hunter who has been on a bunch of guided hunts, I sympathize with you. A wounded animal is a responsibility, and your client didn' t live up to his. I hope he is happy with his trophy. Many of us aren' t like that, and by quitting the guiding business, you missed knowing us and we, you. It is both our losses.
Live in peace,
Old 11-02-2003, 08:36 PM

What did I miss???? Duck hunting all weekend..... Hope nothing went on to degrade the board.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:55 PM

Big Bore,ya missed quite a bit, look at all the locked topics.Some have already been wiped out,just shows what happens when you leave,the whole place goes down the tubes

How' d the huntin' go? did ya' clear the skies??
Old 11-03-2003, 04:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rogue, it sounds like it would be an honor to hunt with you.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:17 AM

The duck hunting was awesome plainsman, lots of ducks, perfect weather, good buddies and lots of coffee and omelettes! By the sounds of it though, Beaverjack is going to have to invest in a portable idgit box so he can take care of business while he is in the field! Oh well, sounds like it' s all said and done, back to talking about hunting!
Old 11-03-2003, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was wondering the same,seems like alot of sludge got passed around.
I' ve been gone hunting for a week,took 4 kidds out for deer ended up with some good 4 bucks and 5 fat does and good times,finish it off with 3 day of elk hunting,didn' t see any but lots of snow.