Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Worst hunting experience

Old 10-30-2003, 11:51 AM

Default Worst hunting experience

We' ve all had pretty bad situations occur while hunting. Whats the worst to ever happen to you? Getting lost,almost freezing to death and countless others fall into this catagory.

Personally,mine was falling through the ice on a lake I was crossing.The 1 1/2 mile walk back to the car seemed like 10. Stiff as an ice cube when I got there and took 2 days to finally warm up again.To this day I still hate walking across ice.I forgot to mention it was -15 with a brisk breeze. BBBBRRRRR
Old 10-30-2003, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Worst hunting experience

And your very lucky to have survived that...most don' t... My worst experience was being stuck in a really bad snow storm in Montana on my first Elk hunt...did not know I could ever get so cold and miserable even though I had my Gore-Tex with me...
Old 10-30-2003, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

I left the black beans an' had to half-ass my famous cajun chicken dish. Really pissed me off. I won' t even mention the time we used up all the onions too quick an' had to make grilled ham & cheese sannerches ' thout any.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:07 PM

I' m another victim of going through the ice. I slipped off a beaver house in late November while moose hunting. Broke completly through, went upside down underwater and wasn' t quite sure which way was up. I got back in the boat and had about 10 miles to go upriver to camp. The only thing that saved me--it was about 10 below at the time and my clothing froze solid and helped insulate me on the trip back. The one thing I remember the most is how bright it is under the ice.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:35 PM

my worst experience was a hot one. i was bow elk hunting and had encounter with a bear so I took the safety cap off of my bear pause or pepper spray some call it. Anyways the bear was just bluffing me but i lost the safety cap for the spray in the excitement. The next day i was walking throught the bush and one of my gloves fell off. The spray was clipped onto my belt and when i bent over to pick up my glove the nozzle went off and spray shot all up my back and dripped onto my rump. i though nothing of it and I kept on hiking. well 30 minutes later my clothes were all off and i was bathing in a slough. Washed that spray off the best i could and then built a fire. If u have every applied linament to sore muscles well X15 and that' s how hot that spray was. My body has nver felt heat like that. no wonder it does such a good job on bears.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:40 PM

30 minutes? Hope it works quicker than that on bear
Old 11-03-2003, 07:47 PM

i was tracking a good deer. i have a very bad back and can not walk very far.the luer of the buck kept me going. i went down hill for alomst 1.5 miles. all i wanted was to get the deer and i never worried about getting back. finally my legs gave out and i could no longer walk. it was very warm at this time. i was on an old road by myslef and no help or way to get back to my 4 wheeler.i knew i was in trouble because all the walking had me hot on top of the heat.i actually passed out.i came to and could still not walk. i could not even stand.i actuallt started worrying about dying.i crawled under a bush and laid their trying to collect my thoughts.as i started peeling my clothes off i found that i had placed my cell phione in a pants pocket.the only prob was that i did not know any of the area numbers and 911 does not work in a bad area.i called my house and got my wife.i told her where i was the best i could and told her i loved her. the next thing i knew a paramedic was loading me on a stretcher. he asked me why i did not go to the house and ask for help. i was so delerious from the heat and exhaustion i never saw the house.they got lots of fluids in me and took me to this close by cafe. i drank 6 glasses of tea.i never go hunting alone any more due to my back.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

These are some very interesting stories I have enjoyed reading. I hope that if anyone else has any they will share them. Nothing like that has ever happened to me thankfully so I can' t share a story
Old 11-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

#2 Forgot TP for a 4 day hunt, ouch!!!

#1 Had a deer taken from my partner and I at rifle point.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

You really wanna talk hardship, there' s the time we had to have dehydrated hash browns for breakfast ' cause some lame brain fergot the potatoes! I know, its an' ugly story. Probly scarred me fer life.