Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Will Trophy Hunting Save Endangered African Species?

Old 06-23-2017, 08:53 AM
Spike

Question Will Trophy Hunting Save Endangered African Species?

https://www.facebook.com/trophythefi...8984910030697/ - Film Preview

Endangered African species like elephants, rhinos, and lions march closer to extinction each year. Their devastating decline is fueled by a global desire to consume and collect these majestic animals. Trophy investigates the powerhouse businesses of big game hunting, breeding, and wildlife conservation. Through the eyes of impassioned individuals who drive these industries, filmmakers Shaul Schwarz and Christina Clusiau grapple with the complex consequences of imposing economic value on animals.

Do breeding, farming, and hunting offer some of the few remaining options to conserve these species before it's too late?

Join this critical discussion on this thread and on social media found here: http://bit.ly/TrophyTheFilm
Full film in theaters this September.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, people from the US and other countries around the world care more about Africa's wildlife and Africans do.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

This appears to be a condemnation of hunting in violation of site rules! Poaching in African will result in the extinction of various species, not the legal, legitimate hunting of them that is very controlled.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I didn't watch the video, I just answered the question. The fact of the matter is, if not for the hunting of big game in Africa and organizations like Safari international most of the game in Africa would have been gone long ago.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:28 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
This appears to be a condemnation of hunting in violation of site rules! Poaching in African will result in the extinction of various species, not the legal, legitimate hunting of them that is very controlled.
From my reading on this in other places, this is actually a film that is going to explain how these conservation efforts can still happen with contributions from big game hunting.

That said it's not my style of hunting to pay $100,000 to shoot a giraffe but when 1,000 of us pay $10 to shoot ducks the end result of conservation is the same...conservation
Old 06-23-2017, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

It doesn't cost anywhere near a hundred grand to kill a giraffe. I have no desire to do so but lets not help the enemy with wild pronouncements on how much African Game costs to hunt. I could actually afford to take a few species in Africa. Since I don't get animals mounted I will not kill an animal just to say I did so and you may not bring any meat back with you> I know quite a few guys and a couple of women who have hunted in Africa and some that continue to do so. They save till they have the money and book a hunt.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:03 AM
Spike

Well let's look at a rhino...$300,000 for many of the hunts. What seems to be hard to find is the amount of that going back to conservation. I do agree that the benefits to local villagers is immense, and beats cornering them into a poaching situation to feed their families.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most of the rino hunts today are with tranquilizer guns with a flock of biologists tagging along. The price to hunt rino is not the norm since almost all if not all is done on huge game ranches and since rinos are not prolific breeders they are expensive to hunt. If not for hunters there wouldn't be any rinos left since the horn is what the poachers want, to sell to Arabs for knife handles since it is a status symbol and orientals for folk medicine. As you mentioned, most of the meat goes to villagers for both food and to make biltong out of and sell in the markets, they get both food and money from hunter killed game. Hunting makes it worth while for the African villagers to help protect the game rather than poach it. It also provides employment for them.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TrophyTheFilm
https://www.facebook.com/trophythefi...8984910030697/ - Film Preview

Endangered African species like elephants, rhinos, and lions march closer to extinction each year. Their devastating decline is fueled by a global desire to consume and collect these majestic animals. Trophy investigates the powerhouse businesses of big game hunting, breeding, and wildlife conservation. Through the eyes of impassioned individuals who drive these industries, filmmakers Shaul Schwarz and Christina Clusiau grapple with the complex consequences of imposing economic value on animals.

Do breeding, farming, and hunting offer some of the few remaining options to conserve these species before it's too late?

Join this critical discussion on this thread and on social media found here: http://bit.ly/TrophyTheFilm
Full film in theaters this September.
I didn't watch the video either, but just the line I put in bold at the top is why I made that statement in my other post!
Old 06-23-2017, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe they should start killing the poachers? You know.....tit for tat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.