Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Black bear attacking a cub

Old 06-15-2017, 03:55 AM
Spike

Default Black bear attacking a cub

This video was filmed by my friend trail cam

Old 06-15-2017, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you think this is unusual? I'm not sure why you posts videos like this? You don't seem to know anything about bears and make a big deal out of nothing. Boars eat cubs all the time. That's why the sow will try to fight off all the boars that come near. Black bears, grzz all bears do it.

It's what I hate about bears and boars in particular. Thinking about them eating cubs, fawns. Elk calves pisses me off no end. They have a varied diet and don't need to do that. Go kill a buck if they want meat like a mountain lion does. Eating the babies makes me hunt them with vengeance.

I know it's for the wrong reason, but I don't really care. I hunt for deer and elk for meat. I hunt for bear to kill them.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

While it is not the norm, it does happen. Male black bears will kill cubs if they get the chance, in order to initiate the sow to go into estrus so they can breed with the sow. A sow with cubs does not breed. Sometimes cubs will not be run off by the sow for two years or more and will not come into estrus until she runs off the cubs. You are correct Muley Hunter, for a guide the guy should know more about bears than his posts indicate.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-15-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

What are you two going on about, he posted the video because it was caught on trail camera. Yes this is normal boar behavior but how often is it caught on camera. He posted the video and explained exactly what you two are talking about at the end.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's an accumulation of all his bear threads.

So, it was caught on camera? It usually is when you watch a video. Is it the first time you ever saw a boar killing a cub? Is it hunting related? It's just life. Maybe he'll show a bear taking a crap next?
Old 06-15-2017, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Come on Muley, you got an issue because the guy posts mostly about bears? I have seen boars kill cubs, never in person or personal trail cams but from documentaries and such. I know it happens and happens more than I care to hear or see, but who are we to say what is worth sharing. It was videoed at their bait site, so it is at least partly in relation to their hunting of bears.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, he's free to post what he wants, but i'm also free to comment about it.

To be honest it got me charged up to bear hunt even more this year. So, it wasn't all bad.

I can't stand the thought of babies being slaughtered.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get the same feeling about the thought of boars killing cubs. I had to change the channel before watching a documentary on lions. When the challenging male killed the previous male they pretty much showed what nature does, cubs where killed. Hard to watch natures brutality at times.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nature is cruel and we're part of it. I'm a predator just like the bear, except I have a better brain. So, here I come boars. I'm looking for you come Sept.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

nature has its own ways, but honestly its rather rare and IMO< more of a deal in area's with lower bear numbers.
I live in a HIGH bear number area, I have seen boars and mothers with cubs in my food plots COUNTLESS times, hundreds and NEVER once seen a male go after a cub, and seen then as close at 5 ft from each other and NOT an issue
I have thousands of bear encounters, been a big part of working with bears off and on thru out the past 25+ yrs!

YES it can happen, and yes it does happen, but honestly, its NOT the norm

I GUESS< is this on that video,
a MALE bear will call FOOD its FOOD, a female came in, male wasn't planning to give up its place at the table, , mother stood her ground a LITTLE while cubs tree'd
sadly, ONE cub, went up a tree close to the bait pile?
Male came back, seen it, and well, went after it, a combo and bad luck for the little sucker
up wrong tree, and a male under it over food it THINKS is his!

lower bear numbers lead to more competition, and less chances to breed, so, a male will do what it can to get to sow its oats when the chances are more rare!

Last week I had a female with 2 cubs and a 500+ lb male feeding in a clover plot, for over 2 hrs, less then 10 yards from each other
neither paid a lick of attention to each other and both went there separate ways when they had enough!

been seeing these two together like this ALL spring too!
and many springs in the past, same like results??
BUT lots of food here and lots of bears too, I've had 10 different bears in my back yard this spring so far,(21 last yr)
I keep track when I can!

as for the video??
Honestly, its rather a RARE video to capture on a trail cam, you DON"T see that often on trail cam's
so
As for OP, sharing it??
its fine in my eye's,
BUT< I could do without the hype at the front of the video,BOLD words and such ,
to try and make it more SHOCK valued though>?
its just nature doing its thing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.