Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Black bear attacking a cub

Old 06-15-2017, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not sure a food plot would show normal behavior?

I don't know how much it happens to cubs. It does happen a lot with fawns and calves and that's what's on my mind as I stalk a bear.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 06-15-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

The reason a boar bear kills a cub is not out of hunger as I have explained in my previous post.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know, and the real reason is worse than hunger. The boar is horny.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd bet that happens more often than most people realize!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes I know its NOT out of hunger.
and why I said all I said,
I have been watching bears on an all yr in all type's of environments a long time, NOT just food plots, I been friends with several bear biologist's over the yrs, including DR Gary Alt, grew up next to him!
when bear numbers are high, there is less reason for a boar to kill a cub, as it has other females it can pursue.
Like Is aid, this video IMO captures a bad mix of things, odds are again, a female with cubs was at the bait when he showed up
she tree'd her cubs and MAYBE stood her ground a tad, till they were up a tree, but this cub , got up the tree next to the bait, which he took over
wasn't about FOOD, as in he was hungry and needed it

its about dominance like, he CLAIMED the food, next could be lower female bear numbers in its area
which also didn't help the cub at all, as he went up the tree and got it!

and that isn't a very BIG or IMO older male bear , so less seasons under its belt, and the pecking order of its area, he might not have as many chances to breed too
all GUESS's on my part, but there from experience I learned over the yrs on black bears and there behavior's

again, its just mother nature at work
and odds are good that the female still has at least one cub left with it??
maybe a younger un experienced b mother at that too!

as again, from my experience, a female with cubs, will many times TREE her cubs (this yrs cubs) before going into a bait site, due to reasons like this
a male can be at the bait
so treeing them farther out, can help protect them!
yet she can still come in and get some calorie's in, and NOT have to worry as much about a male killing a cub on her!

like all things in life, , its a live and learn deal many times, and many times its a learn the hard way! type experience!

of the past 3 yrs, as an example, of me watching females with cubs here
every female I have had here with cubs, has lost ONE cub between May when they typically show up and say Sept, and then by dec, I have had about 40% loss of a second cub on them!
I personally do NOT think its from males killing them, but more of a mix of things, from getting hit by cars, to falling out of tree's(wind storms and such, seen a few hanging on with just one arm/paw dangling from wind gusts )
its again, just life of a bear, things happen to all SMALL critters, and many never make it past there first yr!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've spent much more time studying elk, but I have hunted bear since the 50's. I know nothing about bait and how bears act around it. It never interested me even when it was legal here.

I didn't mean to come across as a bloodthirsty bear killer. That's not really me. Our bear population right now is way too high. That started to happen when the Denver area tree huggers voted out the spring bear hunt. Now those same idiots are whining about bears in their yards.

The problem is our mule deer herds are in trouble right now. Hard winters, too many bears, cats, and coyotes are taken its toll. Plus, I believe the DOW sells too many tags, but their greedy and that won't stop.

I don't know what the answer is, but something has to change or the deer will be gone.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muley, you have a post history that shows everyone here that you are not a bloodthirsty individual. You have your passions and like most of us, certain subjects bring out an instinctual response. I will never fault you are any others for that or at least try my best to, more than welcomed to be called out if I ever do. But you do have it tough in CO with how much their demographics have changed and most never take into consideration what could happen to other species (mule, elk, whitetail, etc.) when you put further protections on an animal that doesn't necessarily warrant them ex. black bears.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Spike

thanks olsaltydog for your help here!

I was only showing this video because is the first time i saw that kind of action on a trail cam.

I was thinking this forum is for sharing experience and not complaining or degrading other members!

if you have something wrong with all my post man then you just have to not click on it

Have a nice weekend
Old 06-16-2017, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't get all girly on us. Post anything you like and ignore the comments you don't like.