Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting ethics, you make the call!

Old 10-24-2003, 06:38 AM

Default Hunting ethics, you make the call!

Had this happen to a friend of mine last Monday morning, he was posted in a drainage ditch, about 40 yards from ridge to ridge, he had been sitting at his spot all morning when someone walked up the drainage and posted just 30 yards away from him, what would you have done? my friend asked the guy to leave, and the other guy responded by saying " this is public land, and I have every right to be here just like you" How would you handle this situation?

Dr. Mike

Old 10-24-2003, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting ethics, you make the call!

DId the other poster see your friend before he sat down? If he did I would probably have had something to say to him. But in most cases thats the kind of a**hole out there that has no regards for anyone elses efforts . Best to clear out of the area and leave those types alone.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best thing to do is go some where else.

For me I go down the hill screaming and singing and kick' in rocks and maybe see' in if my rifle is still on and shoot a few stumps on the way out.

Thats my veiw of it ,I' m here hunting and don' t move in[:@]
Old 10-24-2003, 08:11 AM

Yeah there are people like that out there. No since fighting about it.
Just go about 20 feet from where he is sitting and leave a big steamer with the wind blowing right to him.
Or go a hundred yards up the trail just out of his sight and set up so the deer will have to go by you before they can get to him.

Depending on how mad you are, choose your option.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:18 AM

A number of years ago, I had a similar thing happen. I had posted on a hillside overlooking an oak flat, and a few minutes before legal shooting time, a guy walked in and posted less than 50 yards below me. I stewed about it for a short time, then shouted out to him, " Looks like a good spot, doesn' t it." He turned around and said, " Oh golly. I didn' t see you there, buddy." He didn' t move, so I kept up the conversation for awhile. Eventually, he got the idea. If I wasn' t going to be able to hunt here, neither was he. He left. About an hour later, I took a nice buck. I never saw the jerk again.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

I don' t know if you guys remember the story but last year a group of hunters did this to me and ended up taking a deer from my partner at gunpoint. After it was all said and done I' d have to agree the best thing to do is clear out but like BJ said. I' d leave singing, throwing rocks and shooting stumps. The last thing you want is to fight over an animal, it puts a bad taste in your mouth thats really hard to get rid of.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' d wait a few minutes and see what the other hunter does. If he doesn' t leave I' d pack up and go elsewhere. It' s not worth getting into a fight over.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:30 PM

This is exactly why I' ve (unfortunately) had to scale back my hunting. That sort of thing happens ALL the time in the areas right around where I live, on public land. I bowhunt for fun and for relaxation, and it just doesn' t work if I" m elbow to elbow.
I agree, I' d leave, rather noisily, and most likely with a pit stop on the way out.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:06 PM

You walk away from a jerk like that and you are only encouraging him to pull the same stunt again on someone else. First off, my hunt has been ruined, and I' ll be darned if I walk away without ruining his. I' d pick myself up and plop down right beside him in the wide open, crack my lunch, have a coffee, play my radio, have a ripe old dump etc, etc, etc til he got the picture.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:39 PM

I' d say leave noisely also its not worth fighting over.