Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Newfoundland Moose Outfitter Recommendations?

Old 04-04-2016, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

My hunting buddy and I went with Patey last September, and are planning our next trip as we speek. They are highly professional, very family oriented, hard working and organized. this was the first hunt of this style for us (our only other paid hunts were NB bear). We wanted a fly in one on one hunt, and we got it. Although our arrival day was the leading edge of the big coastal storm, we got into camp fine, but we realized quickly that in the heavy wind, fog and rain that the forecast predicted, we better not goof around too much. We both were going to be happy with a palmated bull, and both scored on one our first day, spotting a total of 9 moose total that day . If the forecast wasn't so dismal we would have looked more, but as it was, we couldn't have been happier. The guides knew their job, accomodations were rustic but comfortable, food plentiful (all flown in, plenty of fresh veggies, baked goods, but expect tasty filling camp food...no gourmet here, but we were allways happy.
All the newfie outfitters have very high success, and the locals appreciate the visitors. It is a different way of life than we are used to .
Any q, please get ahold of me.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

My hunt was with Migule Mountain Outfitters. There were 5 hunters in camp. My friend and I each shot bulls. Another guy missed a nice bull and ended up taking a cow. The other two "hunters", a father and son, were unrealistic as they had tags for moose, caribou and black bear and thought they were going to tag out on all 3 each and be gone by Wednesday. The father was the kind of guy who thought he knew everything about hunting. We all met the type. They were doing nothing but grumbling the 3 days they were there and left Wednesday night. The next 2 days there were moose running all over the place!
Moral of this story - Be patient and trust your guide. He's been at this game a lot longer than you.