Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Score! Colorado Elk Hunt

Old 10-19-2003, 11:18 AM

Default Score! Colorado Elk Hunt

Just got back from a two week stint in NW Colorado for elk (Season Oct 11-15). Overall it was a very successful and rewarding trip, though it had some low moments to go right along with the high ones (I guess that is part of hunting....). Perseverence and mental toughness, as usual, proved to be worthy assets before it was all over.

The elk were in full rut during this early season high power rifle hunt -- bulls bugling everywhere (just like in the videos!) It was quite the " musical" treat waiting for the sun to come up the opening day. Used a spike camp about 4 miles " back in" in addition to the " along side the road" base camp this year to reduce the amount of time and energy spent hiking in the dark and this set up put us right in the thick of the action.

Six of us took four elk. My oldest son got his first bull, a 6x6, and now he' s feeling pretty frisky after a long drought. Younger boy got a small bull. I took a large, stocky, thick bodied dry cow (my favorite). One fellow who had hunted elk many times without scoring (he figured at 58 years, this might be his last chance) got a nice cow. One gentleman who remains loyal to his single shot Sharps 45-70 found the action was consistently a little too far out OR he was always quartering someone else' s elk with the rifle " just out of reach" when the opportunity presented itself (twice) OR some of us fired at other game right when he had a string of elk with a nice 5x5 at the back working to within 75 yards of his position (once). The other gentleman was stove up a bit from a little " horse action" just before the opening day; however, he rallied, walked into spike camp on Day 2, and hunted the second and third days --- saw about 30 elk and had three opportunities but no luck --- he was stoked at the opportunities, acknowledged that " he" was the factor and had no complaints. We quit hunting by the end of Day 3 as everyone had had about all the fun they could stand plus we had 4 head to pack out, butcher, freeze, and distribute in addition to two camps to " knock down." We packed out the remaining elk and the spike camp on two horses with panniers and returned to " base camp" and hit the hot shower --- ah, heaven!

Overall, this was one of the best groups I' ve ever had. There was no complaining and everyone made the best of the situations --- easy or tough --- by applying good humor and " cowboying up" . Everyone was really hard working and mentally tough. They stayed the agreed upon time, helped pack the game out, helped butcher the meat right in camp and then helped pack everything up.

Wow, re-entry to civilization! The air is warm. There is ice in my glass. These roads are really smooth and 55mph feels really fast. Hot water on tap. The places I walk are smooth and level. No wonder so many never leave town!

Several related stories to follow. Some being moments of glory and others moments of humble pie and " I learned about hunting from that...."

Never Go Undergunned, Always Check The Sight In, Perform At Show Time!
EKM
Old 10-19-2003, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Back From NW Colorado Elk Hunt

Congrats on your successful hunt EKM!

By the way, did you tote your Rigby?

Anyway, glad to hear you had fun with your boys AND were successful in your hunt.

CE
Old 10-19-2003, 06:34 PM

Congrats EKM, sounds like the spike camp and the hunt were awesome. What gun did you use the new Brno CZ?[>:][]. NBH
Old 10-19-2003, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like the trip was all highlights to me!!!!!!!!!!!

Wondering if you had to call Mayflower moving to get a big rig in there to pick up that camp. Heck that picture you had posted looked like you where setting up for a army platoon..........
Old 10-19-2003, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good people and success make for a great hunt.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:43 PM

Thanks All,

Let' s see....

(1) I used the M70 in 375HH with 300 gr Nosler Partitions, the sight in hadn' t changed from last year and it was all ready to go. In the weeks prior to the season, when I mounted the Leupold 3.5x10 in the CZ rings on the 416 Rigby and I ran out of upward adjustment to bring the scope to zero; hence, I was short on time to mess with it and put it off for use next year. [>:]

(2) Camp all went up and back in an Expedition with a 6 by 12 trailer, a pickup with 8 foot bed with contractors box, and a full size Bronco. [X(]

(3) Highlights? Yep, that' s the part I talked about, but trust me.... there were some challenging (to say the least) moments --- and honestly, those are the ones that build character. [:@]

(4) You are right, good people is key. I' d say even more important than getting game.

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM

Old 10-19-2003, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you made it back ELKampMaster. I wish you could have used your 416-Rigby. I would have liked to have gotten some feedback on how the 416 preformed.
I am looking at a 338-remington ultra mag or a 375-remington ultra mag? I can' t make up my mind. I will see if I can find one on sale after hunting season?
Old 10-20-2003, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Nice work, EKM, there' s nothing like your boys scoring the way they did, it doesn' t get any better than that, when they' re excited your excited, that' s one way to build good memories. Congrats on a good job, and glad to hear everyones back safe and sound. elknut1
Old 10-21-2003, 10:18 AM

Sounds like a great time was had by all. My party just returned from the same region and season (Cathedrals). No luck for us though. It was as you said...bugling, fighting, raking trees, chasing cows - just like the videos. I heard my last bugle at about 5:30am on Sat. then all shut down. Best as I can figure they got pressure from the south (we could see them) and the scent from the south wind pushed them down into the deepest holes they could find - some of which were on private land.

My last night I had walked in a fenceline - about half way to the canyon bottom I head hoofs on rocks. I looked over my shoulder downhill and saw a beautiful 6x6 slowly coming upslope at about 125 yds with the wind in my face. All I could do was laugh since he was over a private fence with signs about every 10th post saying that it was patrolled by sherrif' s deputies. I had time to shoot the old boy about 10 times and never over 300 yards as he went up. So I took my pack off and took his picture. I finished the night up by calling in a silly calf at about 10 yards upwind. Never did see the big guy again he only bugled once at about 7:00pm. That is hunting.....

Nice country - I hope to go back
Old 10-25-2003, 10:39 PM

Congrats on your success. I just got back today from hunting second season near gunnison. There were two of us and this was our first colorado elk hunt. It was the best time I have ever spent in the woods. I got my first elk, a cow and my buddy didn' t get a shot but did see some elk. He had two cows standing side by side and didn' t want to take the chance of a pass through and hitting them both so he didn' t take the shot. I did see two bulls too though, 3x4 and 5x5. Like you said, just like the videos. They were bugling back and forth at each other and the cows were mewing. It was awesome. Can' t wait until next year. Everyone told us that the work begins after the shot, but wow, I had no idea.

Quick Reply: Score! Colorado Elk Hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.