Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CAUGHT A POACHER

Old 10-21-2003, 03:01 PM

Default RE: CAUGHT A POACHER

Im with the majority, I would go with A. No need to cause a confrontation
where someone (you) might get shot. The poacher had no problems killing
that animal, he might not have any problems killing you if he thought he
could get away with it.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Now I do believe in back woods justice meaning there are some things better handled among men and the law is not needed. However I don' t believe this is one of those cases. The law can handle this much better than backwoods justice. Baiscally if you do it yourself you sock him in the mouth a few times and take his horns or bear parts. But if you get the law this is what happens to this guy in my state.

1-The guys loses everything he used to take that animal right down to his skivies. That includes his truck and rifle.

2-He loses his hunting privilege for however long the judge decides.

3-Huge fine and maybe jail time.

4-YOU GET A FREE TAG!!! Yep, you get a limited entry or some other hard to draw tag for free no questions asked.

Based on that I follow the guy, get as much info as possible and turn him in. I' d probably follow him with my cell phone if possible.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

This has been going on for four days now and Plainsman still hasn' t said whether tis is a hypothetical incident or something he in fact witnessed. Based on that I would say it is hypothetical BS.
With the money involved in the world of poaching today, the option of " Backwoods Justice" just doesn' t make any sense. The last I heard, just the Gall Bladder of a Black Bear was going for about $5K on the black market. Heads and horns of big game species such as Elk, Mule Deer, Big Horns etc. are equally as profitable. Shooting up some poachers vehicle is not likely to slow him down much. Beating the snot out of him, if you can do it, is likely to get you killed some dark night as you come out of the house or run off the road someplace possibly with your family in the vehicle with you. It just doesn' t make sense to do it yourself. Every state Game Department and the USFWS has a division set up to take care of this type of activity and you are cheating not only yourself, but every other law abiding hunter in the country by not allowing the law to run the full course where these types of activity are involved. If you have to defend yourself, that' s one thing. Starting some individual action against a Poacher which could lead to somebody being seriously injured or killed is down right irresponsible.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for A.

Personally, I' d mark the area where the poacher leaves the carcass. Then follow back and get the vehicle information, etc. Make sure you have a good description of the offender if possible. Have as much info as possible when you call the game commission.

Old 10-22-2003, 02:53 PM

another A here its safer for you and you never know the game and fish could have their eye on this guy waiting for one more incedent so they have a good solid case to get him set up for a long time if u handle it yourself u could get hurt and the poacher would keep on doing what hes doing with nobody the wiser exept you and him and you might not be around to talk ...makes you woner huh
Old 10-22-2003, 09:48 PM

I' ll go with A the authorities can really put a hurt on the poachers.

Once years back My Dad an I did just that. A moron was driving through town with a 2x1 Mulies strapped to his Suzuki Samari wrapped up in blue tarp?( porbably spoiled that meat) anyway that year WA state had started 3 point(western count) or better. So we corraled the cops and lead them right to him.Saw his rig later with 2 game wardens and about 6 state patrol around him Also in Wa they can take any possesions at the time of arrest, which cost this guy a $80-90,000 motor home plus his lil' truck.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:00 AM

I DONT THINK I WOULD SAY ANY THING , I WOULD LOOK AND SEE WHO IT IS. GIVE THEM TIME ,THEY WILL TELL ON THEIR SELF. I DONT THINK MUCH OF GUYS WHO GET ALL MAD OVER A ANIMAL THAT DONT EVEN BELONG TO THEM. HOW CAN ONE MAN SAY THAT A ANIMAL IS HIS? THEY ARE FREE TO ROME THIS EARTH JUST LIKE YOU AND I. NOW WHY DO GUYS GET MAD WHEN SOMEONE HAS BETER LUCK THEN THEY DO? I GESS IT IS ALL OF WHERE YOU WAS RAISED UP AT.

THAT GUY MAY HAVE A WIFE AND KIDS TO FEED AND IS DOWN ON HIS LUCK. ALL I AM SAYING IS AS LONG AS HE TOOK THE MEAT, MORE POWER TO HIM.

AS MY GREAT GRAND DAD TOLD ME " KILL ONLY WHAT YOU CAN EAT, SAVE THE REST FOR SOMEONE ELSE."

NOW HOW MANYGUYS OUT THERE KILL A BIG BUCK JUST FOR HIS HORNS, AND GIVE THE MEAT AWAY OR LET IT SIT IN THE FREZZER 3 OR 4 YEARS?

ARE THERE ANY DIFFERANCE BETWEEN THEM AND THE GUY KILLING THE ELK?

I BET THERE IS SOME WHO HAVE A FREZZER FULL FROM LAST YEAR AND THE YEAR BEFORE THAT STILL HUNTING!!! WELL GOOD LUCK
Old 10-24-2003, 10:23 AM

KENTUCKY BOY. go back and CAREFULLY read the original post. Taking only horns or other " money" parts would lead me to think his illegal kill has NOTHING to do with being " down on his luck" . I don' t get your statement about " owning an animal" , I don' t think anyone on this site feels they ' own" or have exclusive rights to any wild game. also the scenario' s mentioned have nothing to do with being mad because somebody had better luck, it' s about out and out profit poaching.
would you still do nothing? I sure hope not, thats the same as letting them go out to do it another 1000 times. I certainly hope you don' t welcome this type of activity in your part of the country.[:' (][:' (]
Old 10-24-2003, 12:25 PM

Well said Plainsman, very well said.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kentucky boy-Obviously you did not read or could not comprehend the original post.It was plainly stated that the poacher was taking only antlers or galls and was leaving the meat.He certainly isn' t planning on feeding his family the antlers or gall.

Quick Reply: CAUGHT A POACHER

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.