Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How to select an outfitter for big game

Old 01-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Spike

Default How to select an outfitter for big game

Have hunted all my life. I have hunted with several outfitters over the
years but they always came recommended by a friend. Hopefully pull the trigger on an antelope hunt in Western Colorado either fall 2016 or
2017. I have never hunted the turbo goats before and would like to get a decent buck for the wall (thereby thinking an outfitter is the best
avenue). I have DIY hunted elk in Colorado for 13 years on public ground with decent success. Recently an outfitter has moved in and I
have seen what a ripoff he is for his hunters. Horses etc and hunts within a half mile of national forest campground. His website looks good and not knowing any better would book with him.

So any one with experience with a guide in the area that they have hunted with or should I try a DIY for a couple years before shelling out
the money? Any advice will be appreciated by this flatlander.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Paying an outfitter for antelope is like putting a match to your hard earned $$$. I grew up in Co and have hunted pronghorns in Co and Wy for years, always unguided and always on public land. Never saw the need for a guide.

2014 Pronghorn I took unguided in CO on public land:

2015 Pronghorn my brother took unguided in CO on public land:

Last edited by flags; 01-13-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

For an outfitter your best bet is word of mouth and research. Look at outfitter reviews such as the one on Bowsite.com or other hunting sites. Ask for references on outfitters you are interested in including unsuccessful hunters.

DIY requires more pre hunt prep work with locating areas to hunt and stay plus logistics of getting there but can be very fun and rewarding.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2016, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with flags 100%, as IMHO it is a waste of money to pay an outfitter to hunt antelope. There is a ton of BLM and National Grass Lands in Wyoming and with just 1 or 2 PPs you could hunt that DIY. If you want to hunt private land you could pay an access fee to a rancher and that would still be a lot less than an outfitted hunt.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Spike

Default Thanks

I appreciate the responses. Think I will get another PP this year and
do some scouting when I drive out for elk. Guess I'll try gun first and
work up to archery if I don't get too old.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Research online, and try to call hunters that have used them previously to get honest reviews. That being said, If you can hunt elk, you can hunt antelope.
-Jake