Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Reducing the buffalo in Yellowstone

Old 01-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
My best friend is an Indian. Not sure why you brought that up? If i'm biased at all it's against certain white men.

THAT'S WHY I BROUGHT IT UP. WHENEVER THESE discusions start someone inevitably gets upset and starts throwing around the race card, even though it really has nothing to do with what is being discused. just figured to head it off at the pass, so to speak.

btw My friend lives in a teepee when the weather isn't too harsh. True.
I believe you. just don't really care.I myself have been known to stay in a tent on occasion , when hunting or fishing
I have a friend who is a taxidermist, doesn't mean I know everything about how a taxidermist lives or how he disposes of carcasses.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, you don't know much about anything.

Just my observation, and something else you don't care about.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:15 PM
Banned

and something else you don't care about.[/QUOTE]

your opinion? lol. you're correct,finally something we agree on.

I do however know , I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG!

Last edited by kidoggy; 01-07-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's true, but I think the bison suffered the most.
I disagree. The bison isn't extinct. Seen a passenger pigeon lately? Those things existed in the tens of billions and they are all gone and only exist in museums as taxidermied specimens.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bison would have been gone if some people didn't step in. There were 20-30 million at one time. In 1890 there was about 1000. Now we have about 1/2 million and most of those aren't pure bison.

Very few on free range.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see references to disease transmission from bison to cattle so often in articles that it sounds like a party line that's repeated from rote memory without thought.

Sure bison are a reservoir for Brucellosis, but why single them out? Are elk or deer that stray outside the Yellowstone subject to similar culls? Their populations carry the disease too.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bison would have been gone if some people didn't step in. There were 20-30 million at one time. In 1890 there was about 1000. Now we have about 1/2 million and most of those aren't pure bison.

Very few on free range.
That's my point. Someone took action to save the bison. Nobody took action to help the Passenger Pigeon. They are all gone and that is a travesty as far as I am concerned.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cull ??

I thought they got wolves, at unhuntable Yellowstone, to cull animals.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Valentine
I thought they got wolves, at unhuntable Yellowstone, to cull animals.
Wolves don't do much preying on 2000# Bison unless they are already dying of old age or something. They do a number on moose and elk when the snow gets deep though.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

I think the Indians themselves would have keep the population down. They were always at war with each other.

They started to band together to fight the white man. Otherwise, I doubt anything would have changed.
The Indians lived here basically the same way for thousands of years. The major change in their way of life started with the coming of the white men from Europe. They didn't even have horses until white men came here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.