Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Slugging in Wyoming

Old 12-28-2015, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

What unit are you saving bear points for?
Old 12-28-2015, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
What unit are you saving bear points for?
Bosque de Oso down by Trinidad. They have a special hunt only on the SWA there. Highest bear density in the state. Takes a minimum of 9 points to pull the tag. I want to hunt that because I really want a cinnamon phase bear and most of them on that SWA are cinnamons. I already have a jet black bear and a chocolate phase on the wall and won't shoot another bear in CO unless it is blonde or cinnamon. Unfortunately blonde bear are pretty rare in CO. ID or AB, Canada are your best bets for the blonde phase.

My brother gas also been saving points for that hunt. He has 7 right now. As soon as he has the number of points to draw it, we'll do the hunt. I've been talking to the game warden that runs the SWA for several years and he has given me some very good advice and I contact him at least once a year for updates since there is some well drilling going on down there.

Last edited by flags; 12-28-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Colorado is great for color phase bears. I don't think i've ever seen a pure black bear in my area, but bear hunting here is tough. I still like to hunt them, because it's a month long season. Tags are also easy to get with no points.

My buddy lives near where you want to hunt. I tell him to go hunt bear there, but he never does. I never checked, and didn't know any unit took that many points. The DOW is very generous with bear tags now. They thought we had 10,000 bears in Colorado, but discovered a better way to count them, and it turned out we have 18,000. They increased bear tags right away, and added more seasons. Good time for bear hunters now.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I never checked, and didn't know any unit took that many points. The DOW is very generous with bear tags now.
Not on Bosque de Oso. Tags for that are specific to the SWA and not good in the general unit which is 851. Tags for the SWA have always been very limited.