Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Slugging in Wyoming

Old 12-24-2015, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Whether it's a family that does it or an unknown "slug" the concept/result is the same! I don't believe there is much partying other than with family as far as that goes, but if the G&F didn't think it was worthwhile they wouldn't have made it part of the rules when PPs were instituted in 2006. It wasn't nonresidents that asked for or even had anything to do with instituting the system and we all have to live with it. If a NR can do what you stated every year, then that's the system's fault and not the person that is just being smart and taking advantage of the setup. Your Colonel friend may be cheap, but it is getting a car off the highway and is, therefore, saving gas and lessening pollution.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can't speak for WY but in CO if someone puts in as a group they go by whoever has the fewest number of points. So if I had 21 points for elk, which I do, and I applied as a group with someone only having 5 points they entire application would be put into the system as 5 points. If the tag is drawn I would lose all 21 points. This is why I can't apply with anyone else. I spent a lot of time on active duty racking up points when I couldn't hunt and I'm not going to sacrifice them on lesser hunts than I can draw with lots of points.

Not saying CO's system is perfect or in any way superior to that used by other states but it sure as heck prevents "slugging."
Old 12-25-2015, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not sure, but Wyoming may be the only one that uses the exact average of the PPs of the party and they do it out to 4 or 5 decimal points for the draw without going up or down to the nearest whole number.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-25-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
Can't speak for WY but in CO if someone puts in as a group they go by whoever has the fewest number of points. So if I had 21 points for elk, which I do, and I applied as a group with someone only having 5 points they entire application would be put into the system as 5 points. If the tag is drawn I would lose all 21 points. This is why I can't apply with anyone else. I spent a lot of time on active duty racking up points when I couldn't hunt and I'm not going to sacrifice them on lesser hunts than I can draw with lots of points.

Not saying CO's system is perfect or in any way superior to that used by other states but it sure as heck prevents "slugging."
What tag in CO takes 21 points to draw? Have you been or are you going to try for a tag soon?
Old 12-25-2015, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
What tag in CO takes 21 points to draw? Have you been or are you going to try for a tag soon?
This is a link to the elk statistics: http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hun...rencePoint.pdf

Some of these hunts are turning into once in a lifetime due to point creep.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

It looks like 21 points is enough to draw any tag as a resident but not enough to draw as a non-resident. I'm just guessing here but assume the preference points would stay with Flags at the same value as he transitions from a Colorado resident to a non-resident. I've never encountered that particular situation before so am kind of curious.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's the curse of being a trophy hunter. If you're happy with a 5x5 or 5x6 you can hunt every year with no points. Get an elk every year, and have solitude.

I've never bothered saving any points.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

I can honestly say I agree with both Flags and Muley. I wouldn't want to give up the opportunity to get a tag of a lifetime as Flags doesn't (he's smart to preserve that opportunity) and yet think the annual opportunity Muley speaks of is both wise and practical. Perhaps Muley's protocol even allows one to build up some points along the way?
Old 12-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not really Cal in my case. Once you get a 1st pick you lose all your points. I need to always take a 1st pick to get the tag, but it doesn't matter if I can get the tag every year with no points. No need to save points.

This is for elk. Deer is another matter. I need a couple of points to get a tag as a 1st pick. Doesn't matter either to be honest. Deer do nothing for me, and taste like sage.

I know why did I take Muley Hunter for a name? I think Elk Hunter was taken when I signed up if I remember right.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 12-25-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepkid
There are a couple. The early season hunts for units 2, 201, 10 all take about that many. I've been stockpiling points for unit 2. I can draw it with 21 as resident but since I'm going to switch my residency to TX after the first of the year it will now take about 24 points.

Those numbers are for the tags that allow you to take a bull. However I can and usually do draw a cow tag for unit 2 as a second choice. So while I wait for the bull tag I really want I can still hunt elk every season if I choose to. This year I didn't because the schedule as a school teacher makes it hard to get to CO in Sept or Oct. This year I hunted deer in CO in Dec with a second choice tag and a leftover private land tag, both for does. Building points, contrary to believe, doesn't mean you can't still hunt every year in CO.

I'll just keep building points until I decide to pull the tag. I have a large number of points for elk, deer, moose, sheep and bear for CO. My plan is to cash them in one species at a time, using one per year. I can retire for the second time in 4 more years so I'll put the plan into action when that happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.