Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Help A Kiwi Out (Sheep Hunting)

Old 01-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by chinarider
its good you will be putting in a lot of pre season scouting for sheep.
keep in mind that there will be a lot of local to montana also out there before first light on the opening day.it will be a real cluster and your odds that you get to a nice ram before anyone else will be low .

if you do well hiking up for tahr you will do just fine climbing hills over here. i had a friend from nz come over this last elk/deer season and he did just fine and got use to the thinner air pretty fast
we were after elk from 7000-8500. take you time and you should adjust to it just fine but it does shut some guys down pretty fast .
what are your dates you plan to be here in mt ?
if you are planning on doing any other hunting while here like elk/deer
i am sure i could help point you in a few areas that have both
also be handy with those longer shots if it come up . this kiwi in my elk camp had never shot past 400yrds before and on opening day i put him on a group of elk and 1 very nice 6x6 bull at 578 yrds
and he passed on it and just took pix for about 10 min before they went on there way.
Yeah from what I've been told the pre-season scouting is the difference between a successful and not successful hunt. I am also very aware with my odds and if I don't get a ram I'll just come back and try again the next year.

I'm pretty used to adjusting to altitude as I do a lot of mountaineering over here in NZ, I've also seen people crumple under altitude.

At this stage i am thinking about coming over about the 20-25th August and don't know when I'll be coming home, it depends if I can get any other hunting in. I'll PM you re. The deer and elk areas!

I also haven't really shot much past 4-500yrds as we don't really have the country over here for shots like that and can generally get heaps closer. What a surreal moment!