Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Essentials for back country archery elk hunt?

Old 12-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Essentials for back country archery elk hunt?

Well my rifle hunt decided to turn into and archery hunt once we figured out the unit had OTC tags. The hunt now we will leave August 29th and be ready by the 1st. We will hunt from September 3rd- 12th and come back home on the 13th. This is my first archery elk hunt but not my first time going to elk camp so I know what to expect with altitude, etc. But since this is my first elk hunt where I could actually hunt and stay some time out in the woods I want to hear from the experienced elk hunter. I have read article after article and some stuff it seems like you really don’t need it. I am trying to keep it as budget friendly as possible but make sure I have the correct stuff. My budget for the trip I would like to keep it under $3,000 including gas, food, tags, etc. This post might sound kind of ignorant but I want to make sure I have the essentials first and in line with my budget before I buy anything else. So here is what I currently have:
  • Archery equipment: Only thing I think I need is and extra release.
  • Sleeping bags
  • Boots: Danners and some waterproof Columbia mid boots.
  • Clothes (including socks, underwear, etc) but I am thinking about buying some kind of polyester blend or all polyester
  • Flashlights
  • binos
  • Rangefinder
  • Rain gear
  • Bivy sack to throw clothes in
  • Knives

Stuff I know I need:
  • Game bags
  • Paracord
  • Some type of water purification
  • Calls
  • First aid kit
  • food
  • I have a ruck sack but I know for a fact if (big if) I shoot an elk it will be a pain packing it out in that. So I will be getting a new pack.
  • fire starter, space blanket, compass,
  • Tent
  • baby wipes
  • TP

Now I would like to hear y'all chime in on what you think the essentials will be and what I should add or take away. I appreciate y'alls input.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 12-11-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

The two that are going to cost you some money are a good tent or bivy and a backpack. Make sure you take plenty of time before you buy them to ensure they will get the job done, as life in the back country is miserable if the weather turns sour and you can't get out of it for a good nights sleep along with getting everything you'll need in and out again. Therefore, make extra sure that the pack you get will be able to safely carry a good load of meat. Elk take at least 4 trips to the trail head if you're by yourself and probably 3 if you have a buddy with you.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
The two that are going to cost you some money are a good tent or bivy and a backpack. Make sure you take plenty of time before you buy them to ensure they will get the job done, as life in the back country is miserable if the weather turns sour and you can't get out of it for a good nights sleep along with getting everything you'll need in and out again. Therefore, make extra sure that the pack you get will be able to safely carry a good load of meat. Elk take at least 4 trips to the trail head if you're by yourself and probably 3 if you have a buddy with you.
I have been thinking about getting one of these packs. It is $114 on Amazon made by alps but what tent would you suggest? I have the one my unit has issued me but it is barely big enough to fit one person inside let alone my gear.

http://outdoorz.alpsbrands.com/produ...ander-pack-bag
Attached Thumbnails Essentials for back country archery elk hunt?-capture.jpg  

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 12-11-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have backpack hunted elk many times. I take a small backpack stove and fuel to keep from stinking up my area with a fire. A tarp, sleeping bag and pad, compass, map, pen and paper, extra socks and underwear, soap, water tablets, dehydrated food, tea bags, one gallon plastic bags (enough for the deboned meat and some extras to keep gear dry), weather radio, binoculars, camera, aspirin, very small sun screen & lip balm, electrical tape and a lightweight shelter are on my list. I haul it all in an external frame pack to camp and use a daypack for actual hunting. Most fellows seem to like the internal frame packs better but I like the option of stripping off the bag and just using the frame sometimes. I tend to sweat too much with an internal frame pack riding directly against my back.

If I do not have to pack in far I take a few luxuries like a paperback book and some comfortable camp clothes.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I have backpack hunted elk many times. I take a small backpack stove and fuel to keep from stinking up my area with a fire. A tarp, sleeping bag and pad, compass, map, pen and paper, extra socks and underwear, soap, water tablets, dehydrated food, tea bags, one gallon plastic bags (enough for the deboned meat and some extras to keep gear dry), weather radio, binoculars, camera, aspirin, very small sun screen & lip balm, electrical tape and a lightweight shelter are on my list. I haul it all in an external frame pack to camp and use a daypack for actual hunting. Most fellows seem to like the internal frame packs better but I like the option of stripping off the bag and just using the frame sometimes. I tend to sweat too much with an internal frame pack riding directly against my back.

If I do not have to pack in far I take a few luxuries like a paperback book and some comfortable camp clothes.
Thanks I sweat a lot too an think and external frame pack is something that to me seems like it is more versatile. I will also have a day pack. I'm glad I made this thread because some of these hunting list I was reading by places like Gander mountain was racking my budget up fast and I was thinking you shouldn't need everything on here.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 12-11-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The pack you linked looks good to me. It is very much like the pack that has served me well. I can haul about 100 pounds (maybe a little more) in my old pack before the pins and rigs start to have problems. That reminds me - take some extra pins and rings for your pack along.

You do not need to spend a fortune to be comfortable in the backcountry,
Old 12-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some backpacking and rock climbing stores rent tents at very reasonable rates.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Alps makes good stuff and I just bought their Traverse backpack a couple days ago right through their company. It was $230 and I got it for $115 under an RMEF promo code and there were no taxes or shipping charges. You probably should order that one you posted ASAP while the price is right.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-11-2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Alps makes good stuff and I just bought their Traverse backpack a couple days ago right through their company. It was $230 and I got it for $115 under an RMEF promo code and there were no taxes or shipping charges. You probably should order that one you posted ASAP while the price is right.
How do you like that pack for a day pack? Is this it?
Oh nevermind that is a big pack but a nice one!

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Brandon_SPC
How do you like that pack for a day pack? Is this it?
Oh nevermind that is a big pack but a nice one!

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ-...verse+backpack
This is the one I just bought and it's to be delivered sometime next week.
Attached Thumbnails Essentials for back country archery elk hunt?-download.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.