Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Mountain Lion

Old 12-07-2015, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

It doesn't taste too bad.

Better than bear meat that I usually give to the dog, so I don't have to give him the elk meat.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

Super, I had some mtn lion meat a number of years ago at our local sportsmen's wild game feed. As I recall, it didn't have any gamey taste.

My outfitter on this hunt said that it tasted like pork. When we boned out the meat, the back straps were a light color (like pork), and the rest of the meat was red.

I've eaten two of the bears that I shot and part of another. I would put the flavor of them somewhere between elk and beef. None of them had any marbled in the meat, and the best way that I can explain the texture of the meat was that it had a "waxy" appearance.

I'll know more about lion meat when I finish processing this one and actually eat some.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on a great looking cat and an awesome hunt! Another bucket list item!
Old 12-08-2015, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice kitty. I've been in on the taking of about a dozen or so, mostly cattle killers on some ranches owned by either family or friends. A good winter cougar skin is a great trophy. I never kept the skin on any we got, kind of regret that now.

As to the question of meat, cougar is good. Light in color, fine in texture and mild in flavor and in CO you are required by law to use every scrap of edible meat off one. I always thought a soup made from the tail would be great but never tried that.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I read somewhere that the Mt Men preferred cougar meat over many other game meats.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good friend of mine said his cougar was excellent tasting, he also shot a leopard in africa and sampled that he mentioned it tasted just like the cougar. Nice cat buffybr congrats!
Old 12-08-2015, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes that's pretty much what I have heard from a couple of folks that had tried it. I hunt out west a lot and have had many opportunities to cat hunt but since I wasn't sure about eating it since I had never had a chance to try it I declined. As I said previously, I just can't get myself to pull the trigger on an animal unless it has been an aggressive predator to livestock or a nuisance like yotes and not eating it. Guess I'll look around for next year and see if I can find myself a good cat hunt! Thanks for the answer guys!